Solved: Windows File Protection

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gazbag

When i turn my pc on i get a box appear saying i have got unrecognized file versions and i need to insert sp2 disc. i dont have a disc. what should i do. many thanks

What are the file names causing this error?

And do you have the folder C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

any files that were installed with the SP2 update should be there.

gazbag

i dont know the file names causing the error. yes i do have the folder C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. thanks gary

If you are prompted for the CD are you given the option to enter or browse to the location of the CD? If so, just browse to C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

and see if it can find the files.

I'm not sure why you aren't seeing the names of the "missing" files, but you may be able to determine this by running eventvwr.msc and looking under the System or Applications log for an associated error message.

Those can be copy/pasted

gazbag

the box asks me to insert sp2 but nothing else. have run eventvwr.msc and it says window could not restore the system catalogue file C:/WINDOWS/system32/CatRoot{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}/msn7.cat . The error code is0x000004c7

gazbag

i have recently uninstalled msn because my daughter was on it constantly. as for the file path i dont understand what all that means.

I'm just asking you to verify whether the entries in the right pane in your registry are the same as mine for the servicepack file path.

However I think this is going to be irrelevant with respect to any MSN related errors.

You may want to try reinstalling it and removing it again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online