Solved: Windows Firewall Error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mgar

I recently obtain a Dell D630 laptop from a friend and am having problems turning on the windows firewall. There is Norton anti-virus that has expired (I'm going to renew it). Also it is running on Windows XP sp3.

Basically when I got to windows firewall under the control panel, it says:
Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection sharing (ICS) service?

When I press yes it then says:
Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Sharing (ICS) service.

Any ideas?

I checked to see if it was set as disabled, manual, or automatic startup and it is on automatic.

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
In the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection sharing (ICS) service, select the Dependencies tab. Make sure all services it's depending on are enabled.

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
If no luck, try this fix: Firewall On

Save the .reg file to your desktop. Double-click it to merge it to the registry.

Reboot.

If the fix only opens as a text file, right-click it and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

If still no joy,

Click Start > Run > type CMD

In the Command Prompt, type netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot and try Windows Firewall again.

mgar

Sooo close! I tried the program and the command prompt line, but when I restarted the computer norton says that the firewall is on, after about 1 min I check again and it says it is off... whats the deal?

Click on Start, Windows Update, and update your computer to see if it fixes the problem.

Hi,

This is Mike from Norton Support.

Are you sure that you have Norton AntiVirus installed and nort Norton Internet Security or Norton 360? If by chance you have Norton Internet Security or Norton 360, both of these products contain the Norton Firewall and you should have the Windows Firewall disabled if this is the case, so that you do not run into conflicts.

Thanks,
Mike

I recently obtain a Dell D630 laptop from a friend and am having problems turning on the windows firewall. There is Norton anti-virus that has expired (I'm going to renew it). Also it is running on Windows XP sp3.

Basically when I got to windows firewall under the control panel, it says:
Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection sharing (ICS) service?

When I press yes it then says:
Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Sharing (ICS) service.

Any ideas?

I checked to see if it was set as disabled, manual, or automatic startup and it is on automatic.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online