[SOLVED] windows hlp file problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

snarker

Some game programs I use have .hlp files accessable both from inside the program and from the start menu. Now whenever I try to access any one of the files, it always opens the same file - hlp for Prelude to Waterloo. Is there a default setting that may have been "hijacked" after installing that game, or a setting somewhere I can change so the hlp file will use the location(s) in the appropriate shortcut(s)?

Thanks

have you tried right clicking on the application icon & then going to properties to see if the help file is there in the folder?

snarker

Yes, shortcuts all point to the proper folders. Just seems the program ignores the file location in the shortcut and defaults to the Prelude to Waterloo hlp file. I can then browse to the proper file, but it's tedious!:(

On the properties pages of shortcut icons, there is both a "target" address and a "start in" location. The problem you describe can be caused by not having the address to the folder where the .hlp file is in the "start in" field. Just go to the folder where they are, highlight and copy the address bar, then paste it in the "start in" field.

snarker

Thanks,

The shortcuts are all ok, so that is not the issue. Wish it was!

But when you find the correct help file it will open?
I'm not sure. To start Please have a look at these two registry keys.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\chm.file
And
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\hlpfile

Exprot them one at a time.
click on chm.file and then go to the toolbar>registry>export registry file
Export it to the desktop.
Do the same for hlpfile
Please post as attachments.
At the bottom of the post reply page, you'll see ATTACH FILE
Use the Browse button to browse to the reg file
First, rename the file. It needs to have a .txt extension, not the .reg it will have.
Post again and do the same for the second file. I would like to see them as they appear in your registry.

thanks,
Mo

snarker

I have discovered the problem, I think. In the Windows registry there is a line that maps
notes.hlp to the PTW folder. The other games also have notes.hlp in their directories, but no mapping in the registry. I'm tempted to just delete the line. I found it by following the registry path - hkey_local_machine -- software -- microsoft -- windows -- help. I'm guessing this overrides the default key, which would open 'notes.hlp' from the folder help was called in, and force it to open in the PTW folder. Any problems with deleting the line?

Always a problem deleting anything in the registry. First, back up the entire key. Then go into the right pane and remove the entry.
See if it makes a difference. If not, reboot. See if it takes effect. If not. Re enter the delete.

I don't have any duplicates and cannot test your theory. Give it a try and see. Be careful.

snarker

Deleting the reference to PTW in the registry worked. Help no longer reads only the notes.hlp file in the PTW folder, but reads it in the folder 'help' was called from.

Thanks all, problem solved.

snarker,
Great. You fixed it. And your theory was on the money too. It must have done exactly what you thought it did. It took that file name and pointed to the one instance. Multiple instances of that name were being directed to the wrong file as a result.
I am saving this post for future reference.
Thanks for sharing it. Have a good one.

Mo

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online