1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows install disc

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sacoite1, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sacoite1

sacoite1 Thread Starter

I know this is a pretty basic question.....but I don't know the answer.
    I just bought a new HP computer with Windows 7 Home Premium loaded. Of course the install disc was not with it. How do I get the disc without going to the local "Best Buy" and spending a couple hundred dollars?? ......or maybe that's the only way??
    Thanks in advance!!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Recovery disks are usually cheap from the manufacturer.

But you have a complete recovery already on your hard drive. That is no use of course if the hard drive fails and the recovery partition goes with it. The best idea is to make a complete drive image on an external device or DVD's. Also, check your Start menu for an option to create a recovery set.

Free Disk Imaging Tools:

EASEUS Todo Backup
    Runtime Shadow Copy
    SelfImage (Open-source)
    O&O DiskImage Express
    Macrium Reflect
    PING (Partimage Is Not Ghost) (Free alternative to Ghost with more features)
    Paragon Drive Backup Express
    Drive Image XML
    G4U - Ghost For Unix (Platform-independent, floppy or CD)
    DiscWizard (For Seagate or Maxtor drives - contains reduced version of Acronis)

Don't forget to make the boot CD whichever one you choose. If the machine will not boot the operating system, you can still boot from the CD and use its tools to restore the image you made on the external drive.

3. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Most HP PCs have software installed so you can make one copy of the Installation disc, or a set of HP recovery discs, look in the all programs menu, it may be buried.

4. antech

antech Banned

Most of the systems these have a recovery partition with themselves.
    Stored in an ISO Format??
    I saw such a silly thing on one of my friends new Compaq/HP Desktop!

5. spatian116

spatian116

You have a completely legal copy of it on your machine so why not just download an image.

6. antech

antech Banned

Good suggestion but its somewhat bad to microsoft and techguy
    This site can think of even banning you and your IP.
    I have done this one time and I was spared as I didnt gave any links to any site

7. spatian116

spatian116

Alright. I learnt something. Never say anything like that gain.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes. It is illegal to download any MS files from anywhere not certified by MS, and that includes missing dll's, which are dangerous to download, anyway, since they come in many versions and have the same names for ones that are not the same.

It makes sense, really. Besides the piracy issue, they just don't want to get blamed for malware and crappy files that damage peoples' computers when there is no telling what those files contain or what has been done to them.

9. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Contact HP and buy the DVD's from them, they run about $25.00 US and well worth the money.
    They will send you the ones for your model including drivers and software, the will work, as the ones you can make, do not always work.

10. antech

antech Banned

So,whats your decision?
    Buying a HP Recovery CD??

11. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Antech,
    Who are you directing these questions to?

12. sacoite1

sacoite1 Thread Starter

Thank you all for your advice and sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. I started this thread on Sunday and have been gone for a few days....just got back.
    I think the best for me is to do the recovery discs from the programs menu......and also contact HP and buy the DVD's from them.....cheap enough!! That should keep me covered in case I have big troubles down the road....who knows huh??
    I certainly do not want to do anything illegal but I don't understand spending good money on a machine and not having the discs included in case you have trouble later. It's like buying a sport car.....and having to pay extra for the owners manual and the key to start it.
    Oh well......Seriously....Thank you for your help. I think I know what to do now.

13. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Well have you priced out some the fancy keys for these new cars and trucks, thay can run up to $100.00 US.

14. antech

antech Banned

I was directing the question to sacoite1.
    Please mark this as solved.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917676

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice