Solved: Windows Installer Not Working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Errol100

Everytime i try to Uninstall or Install something i get this message "The windows Installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running windows in safe mode, or if the windows installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assitance"

Ive searched around the net to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated :eek:

Hi, I am not much help but I had trouble with the Installer and went back and restored to a date before the trouble started and it fixed it. Of course it means you will have to reinstall everything you have installed since the restore date. I have only been using Vista for a couple of weeks and it seemed the easiest solution although I had to reinstall a fair bit such as updates I had already dld. love Mal

Errol100

I tried system restore but it didnt seem to work at all, and it is set to manual. The problem is i cant install a new version becuase it uses windows installer in install it! which also mean i dnt think i can do windows update.

Try running the command sfc /scannow

Also run regedit and navigate to this location:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]

If there is an "installer" key there, make sure there is no policy restriction on it.

Errol100

Try running the command sfc /scannow

Also run regedit and navigate to this location:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]

If there is an "installer" key there, make sure there is no policy restriction on it.
When i do sfc /scannow a black box appears and disappears in a matter of seconds, and the installer didnt work after.

As for the installer key it was not present in that location.

run sfc /scannow from a command prompt (start, run: cmd )and see if the same behavior occurs.

Also try starting up in Safe Mode, go to Start > run and enter

msiexec /regserver

Errol100

The sfc /scannow from a command promt said i needed to be an administrator..which i am

so in safe mode in cmd i wrote msiexec /regserver then sfc /scannow. and the scan started,the vertification is 100% complete but doesnt seem to be doing anything shall i just leave it? or has it finished? Thanks for the help

sfc /scannow typically does not give a clue as to what, if anything, it has done, and only prompts for install disks if it needs one.

Did the regsvr32 command return a response? It should have said "successful" or something like that.

Elvandil might have some other suggestions -- I'm not sure what you can do for a corrupt installer in Vista except the above, reinstall, or possibly upgrade to SP1 if you have not done that. It has an updated installer version.

It might be worthwhile to contact Microsoft support on this issue. http://support.microsoft.com/ph/11732#tab2

Errol100

ok i have run that twice, it said it has fixed what it found damaged but the installer stil no longer works. Again the problem with install updates is that this uses the installer. I think i may have to re-install Vista.

Thanks for the Help

Errol100

I got it working, downloaded the standalone installer that Elvandil told me about!!

Thanks alot guys been very helpful!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online