1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Installer Not Working

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Errol100, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Errol100

Errol100 Thread Starter

Everytime i try to Uninstall or Install something i get this message "The windows Installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running windows in safe mode, or if the windows installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assitance"

Ive searched around the net to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated :eek:

2. mal1930

mal1930

Hi, I am not much help but I had trouble with the Installer and went back and restored to a date before the trouble started and it fixed it. Of course it means you will have to reinstall everything you have installed since the restore date. I have only been using Vista for a couple of weeks and it seemed the easiest solution although I had to reinstall a fair bit such as updates I had already dld. love Mal

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

4. Errol100

Errol100 Thread Starter

I tried system restore but it didnt seem to work at all, and it is set to manual. The problem is i cant install a new version becuase it uses windows installer in install it! which also mean i dnt think i can do windows update.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Try running the command sfc /scannow

Also run regedit and navigate to this location:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]

If there is an "installer" key there, make sure there is no policy restriction on it.

6. Errol100

Errol100 Thread Starter

When i do sfc /scannow a black box appears and disappears in a matter of seconds, and the installer didnt work after.

As for the installer key it was not present in that location.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

run sfc /scannow from a command prompt (start, run: cmd )and see if the same behavior occurs.

Also try starting up in Safe Mode, go to Start > run and enter

msiexec /regserver

8. Errol100

Errol100 Thread Starter

The sfc /scannow from a command promt said i needed to be an administrator..which i am

so in safe mode in cmd i wrote msiexec /regserver then sfc /scannow. and the scan started,the vertification is 100% complete but doesnt seem to be doing anything shall i just leave it? or has it finished? Thanks for the help

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

sfc /scannow typically does not give a clue as to what, if anything, it has done, and only prompts for install disks if it needs one.

Did the regsvr32 command return a response? It should have said "successful" or something like that.

Elvandil might have some other suggestions -- I'm not sure what you can do for a corrupt installer in Vista except the above, reinstall, or possibly upgrade to SP1 if you have not done that. It has an updated installer version.

It might be worthwhile to contact Microsoft support on this issue. http://support.microsoft.com/ph/11732#tab2

10. Errol100

Errol100 Thread Starter

ok i have run that twice, it said it has fixed what it found damaged but the installer stil no longer works. Again the problem with install updates is that this uses the installer. I think i may have to re-install Vista.

Thanks for the Help

11. Errol100

Errol100 Thread Starter

I got it working, downloaded the standalone installer that Elvandil told me about!!

Thanks alot guys been very helpful!

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Great, you can mark this thread "Solved" using the Thread Tools menu here! :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice