1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Installer Service Could not be started

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by newJason, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. newJason

newJason Thread Starter

Hi.
    I recently did an upgrade of a new motherboard, cpu, and ram. Everything else stayed the same. I was able to use the existing HD and it booted up and I installed all the new drivers etc.

The computer works great and it's way faster than the old system. Both are AMD.

When I went to do an install of an old logitech webcam. I started getting a message like this:

Windows Installer Service Could not be started

I then went to uninstall some unwanted programs, and I get the same message.
    Everything that usues the Microsoft installer fails.
    I did some research, and tried stopping, re-starting, unreg and re-regserver, even automatic startup on the Installer service.

Nothing has worked so far, except i can go into services and manually start it , and then install my program, and that works.

Another thing I noticed is that all of the Dependancies boxes on ALL the services are greyed out and blank. (see attachment)
    Then something else I noticed is, all of my system and network diagnostic tools no longer work.

Logitech diagnostic gives this:
    Camera Marketing Name = QuickCam
    USB PID BCD = 08DA0
    Software Version = Logitech Webcam Software / Version: 12.10.1113.0
    ERROR:The RPC server is unavailable.
    CPU =
    RAM = 0.00 MB
    O.S. = Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition :
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Microsoft Help Network Diagnostic Tool gives all errors like this:

Unable to connect to WMI namespace 'win32_networkadapterconfiguration'

I can't use the System INFO tool as it gives this error:

A network error occurred in connecting to Windows Management Instrumentation. Ensure that your network connection is functioning properly.

Even the TSG SYSInfo toool I downloaded here will show no results.

I am logged on as Admin.

anyone have any ideas?
    I suspect there is a Service that is turned off or not on or something but i have no idea what it is .
    thanks in advance

Jason

Also I am running a single desktop computer. I have no network and have never had one.
    I just run a wireless usb antenna to a router.
    I just discovered that taskmanager shows i have 2 LAN connections where before I only had one.
    It says the new one is a Microsoft tv-video connection. I am guessing that is for the web cam i installed.

here is about my system:

WinXP SP3 current updates.
    AMD Athlon II X3 445 Processor
    3 Processor Cores
    RAM: 4 Gigabytes
    Display adapter: AMD 760G
    Western Digital PIDE 350 GB Hard Drive
    MOTHERBOARD: Foxxconn A76ML-K 3.0
    Avast 6.0.1289 definitions 111125-1
    AWill 5505 10db USB antenna wiresless networking adapter

Attached Files:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Has any registry cleaner or similar "tool" been used on the machine? It sounds like possible registry corruption.

Have you tried System Restore to a date prior to the problem?

You have a network with you, the router, and the modem or whatever connection you have. It just has one member.

Do you have all the Windows updates installed? SP3?

3. newJason

newJason Thread Starter

Yes I tried a system restore that hung and was eventually sucessfull i think. but that did nothing so i tried to undo. The undo of the restore was unsucessfull.
    Yes I have all current updates SP3.
    You are correct I do have a network , what I meant to say was I do not have this set up as a server.

But the good news is , i found the problem.

The WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) was not started. I Started it and set it to automatic.
    I also read somewhere else that Dcom may also be a problem, so I enabled that and set it to automatic.

Now everything works perfect :) as far as i can tell.

Will enabling these expose me to any security risks?

BTW Elvandil how did you get the text in your signature upside down and backwards? that is a neat effect.

Thanks

Jason

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

˙˙˙ǝɯ ʞsɐ noʎ ɟı 'ʎsɐǝ ʎʇʇǝɹd

Ԁɹǝʇʇʎ ǝɐsʎ' ıɟ ʎon ɐsʞ ɯǝ˙˙˙

http://www.typeupsidedown.com/

http://www.upsidedowntext.com/

[​IMG]

5. newJason

newJason Thread Starter

Awesome.
    Thanks Guys.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Unicode. It's amazing that most of the world's languages can be typed on any machine now, as well as a number of symbols. (それは世界の言語のほとんどは今や任意のマシンだけでなく、シンボル数で入力できるのは驚くべきことだ。)

Those services are normal services that should not increase your attack cross-section if you keep antimalware programs running and don't take risks.

But you should always have a full system backup, anyway.

Free drive backup software (imaging, cloning, and archiving - backups can be created on a second hard drive, internal or external, or on DVD's, or BluRay disks. One BluRay disk will hold most peoples' entire system drive's backup at 25 GB's using compressed images):

Paragon Backup & Recovery (Recovery boot CD or USB key)
    Macrium Reflect (Free)
    O&O Disk Image Express
    Easeus Todo Backup
    Redo Backup & Recovery (Boot CD)
    Comodo Time Machine (Complete system, files, programs, and settings restoration, but not "bare-metal" for failed drive)
    Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
    Drive Image XML
    PING (Partimage is not Ghost) (Boot CD with option Clam Antivirus)
    Partition Saving
    Clonezilla
    Passmark OSFClone (Bootable, cloning only)

There are also many commercial products with more features.

7. newJason

newJason Thread Starter

Yes I learned long ago to back up often and always.
    It took the loss of 2 win95 and 1 xp system to finally realize that it is not IF your drive will fail, but WHEN it will fail.

I use Paragon as it is the best i have tried and it was free on Giveawayoftheday.com
    I also use a Paragon program called Paragon Drive Copy that I love, and also got as a give-away.

Drive copy is amazing. You can:
    Migrate to another Hard drive
    Copy disks, make images, and more.

i have used the feature: Adjust OS to a new Computer
    That was how i was able to do my last 2 hardware upgrades without re-installing XP.
    I was able to create a WIN PE CD that loads a portable version of windows into RAM by booting from the CD. Then using Paragon, Access my HD, and Paragon injects the drivers for the new platform. I then re-boot to the HD that paragon modified and BOOM. My same system in a new faster better computer. I had to study a lot to get it done. I even wrote a script to simplify the process, There at the wilders fourms they are very helpfull and will custom make you a setup script to burn your own WIN PE CD. Great to have in case of emergency.
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=257771&highlight=winpe+drive+copy

I highly reccommend Paragon Drive Copy, I have seen a lot of users on here asking if they can use their old HD with a new MB. And the answers Is YES you can. I may write an article on in...

Thanks again

Jason

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, I agree with you about Paragon. I use Acronis Backup & Recovery, but have used almost every Paragon product at some point. They are all excellent. They come up with some good ideas, too, like the package for migrating to a new OS that lets you run it virtually until you get everything migrated and then converts it to a real installation.

And their P2P adapter program that modifies the OS on any connected hard drive to work on the hardware it is connected to. So you can plug in an XP drive, run the program on it, and then boot up on completely different hardware than the OS was installed to. Amazing stuff they put out, and sometimes it is not even mentioned in the product description - you find it when you use it. :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice