1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: windows installer service won't start

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Phone_Tools, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Phone_Tools

Phone_Tools Thread Starter

ok, so i can't really install anything on my computer right now because apparently the "windows installer services" isn't started. When i try to install stuff it won't let me. when i go to run and type in services.msc and then go down the list to 'windows installer', it says it isn't started. and when i try to start it, it says "error 997: overlapped I/O operation is in progress"

can anyone help me out??

im using windows xp home edition, by the way

2. The Hound

The Hound

Which version of Windows Installer do you see in Add/Remove programs?

3. Phone_Tools

none in the add/remove programs, is there supposed to be one there?

4. The Hound

The Hound

Double click 'My computer', c: drive, windows folder, system 32 folder, and find the msiexec.exe file (they should be arranged alphabetically). Right click the msiexec.exe file, left-click properties, on the 'version' tab, click 'file version' and tell us what it is.

5. Phone_Tools

hey, sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

the version is: "3.1.4000.1823"

6. The Hound

The Hound

Okay...this article has some ideas-since you already know that the service isn't running, maybe you start with 'Method 2'.

7. Phone_Tools

well all right! i tried method number 2, and it solved the problem!
    at first nothing happened but then i went to services.msc and started windows installer services, and it started fine. works perfectly now!
    the only thing is it appears that i now have to manually start the windows installer service each time i turn my computer on. is there a way i can make it start automatically?
    thanks the hound, your help is much appriciated!!!

8. The Hound

The Hound

You're welcome---in services.msc, select 'automatic' from the pulldown menu, start the service, click 'apply', and reboot...I hope that does it.

If that works, please use the thread tools at the top of the page to mark this one solved...

9. Phone_Tools

it worked- thanks the hound

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590082

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice