1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Internet explorer error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rem_2007, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rem_2007

rem_2007 Thread Starter

Hi, I have a problem: each time I open my IExplorer I get a message that "IE has encountered a problem and needs to close". What can I do? Thank you for any help you can give me.:(

2. DerekC

DerekC

What version of Internet Explorer are you using?

If you are using version 7, try Start > All Prorgams > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (no add ons). Does this provide the same error?

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

Are you still running XP Home SP2, as your profile indicates?

Which version & SP of IE?

When did the problem begin? Not date, but in relationship to any PC changes; hardware / software installation / removal, to include updates to Windows, AntiVirus or other programs.

start > programs / all programs > system tools . IE without add ons.
    Does the problem occur?
    You might not have the without add ons option.
    open IE.
    Report results.
    If problem persists, proceed.

control panel > IO
    general tab > clear history, temp internet files, et al.
    OK.
    Note: by doing this, you will probably lose the passwords & user names your PC has stored for you.

Open IE. If problem persists, proceed.

Control panel > classic view > internet options.
    Security tab > click on each item in the zones. Note the settings.
    "advanced tab" > Note the settings.
    Now, on security & advanced tabs, click the "set defaults" button.

start > run
    type: eventvwr.exe
    OK
    maximize screen

On the left, if you have IE, left click on IE
    On the right, look for errors or warnings that occurred at the time the error message appeared.
    Also check "system" and "applications" for errors that occurred at the time the error message appeared.

If you have IE 6, repair IE per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

If, at any time, you can access IE, go to www.getfirefox.com, download FF, which is an alternative to IE. Download FF, but don't install at this time.

RF123

4. perfume

perfume Banned

5. rem_2007

rem_2007 Thread Starter

First of all thank you all.
    Secondly, dear Rainforest, the version is: 7.0.5730.11 (XP Home SP2)
    I did every step until the step "set defaults" . I could not find the set defaults button...:(
    So I did the next step with event viewer; the right window of IE was empty and no error was there.
    So I still have the error window on my screen...
    PS. If I open IE -no add ons- there is no error.

Update: I finally solved the problem by un-checking the “Enable third party browser extensions” as suggested on http://www.online-tech-tips.com/inte...eeds-to-close/ recomended by Perfume.
    Thank you all again and have a nice weekend, I know I will!

6. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear rem_2007,
    Nice to know that your problem has been solved! I think it's time to move on to either Firefox 3 with Noscript-add on OR Safari web browser. Why do you think Microsoft is upgrading IE from 6 to 7 and now to 8! Simply vulnerabilities! You'll not only have a fun weekend but a peaceful one if you shift to FF3 or the latest version of Safari! Best Wishes!(y)

7. rem_2007

rem_2007 Thread Starter

:D I will try Firefox, and yes, a peaceful weekend will be...:p.

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

Please mark your thread as solved.

I am unable to determine which SP you have installed. No need now, but just for future reference. Also provide the version of IE and FF, if you have a browsing issue.

In IE 7, securities tab, the return is labeled "default level" ; on advanced tab, button is labeled "reset" .
    Another reason for you to provide the version of IE you use; include SP of IE, as well.

Congratulations!

RF123

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/804920

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice