Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: "Windows Is Starting Up" Screen Takes Too Long To Load

21K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  skwayred 
#1 ·
My Windows start-up is pretty decent (after I log-in to my user account). What's taking too long is the "Windows Is Starting Up" screen:

It takes about 5 mins. or so before the log-in screen shows up. Anyway, here's what happened prior to this event:

My Windows XP OS has just been repaired due to a stop error. One of my RAM cards (I have two installed previously) has also been removed because the technician deemed that it was the cause of the stop error.

Now my question is, is it the cause of the slow down? I mean having a smaller RAM? I'm thinking that it could be the cause but I'm having second thoughts because I only had 1 RAM card installed way back but the stalling of the "Windows is starting up" screen never happened. I've had a slow running PC, yes, but I never had to wait that long for the "log-in" screen to show up (10 seconds tops). I only have 6.46 GB free space now which is small but I've had a smaller free space (2 GB) before but then again, the stalling I mentioned has never happened until now.

Any solution to this problem?

See less See more
#2 ·
Maybe its just the amount of programs that you have in start up thats doing it,go to Start /Run and type in msconfig,then click on start up and untick everything except your AV see if that makes a difference,you can add the other things later one by one if you need them ...remember this is just a suggestion ...

#5 ·
How much memory do you have now and how much before?

Windows seems to load far more slowly after a registry cleaner has been used since it searches for missing keys endlessly. Did he run something like that on the machine?

You can run the BootVis tool to get detailed information on the entire boot process and the time it takes for each event. That will tell you what is happening during these long delays.

After running the tool and rebooting to get the log result, you can also look in the menu for the boot optimization option. That will rearrange the boot files that it tracked duing boot so that they are placed optimally on the drive to speed the boot process.

If you have large files on your desktop, try moving them to a folder elsewhere on your drive.

#6 ·
I have a 1GB RAM now. I'm also holding my defective RAM card (the one removed) and it says 256MBG-PC333 on it. If I am correct that the defective RAM is 256MB, then I previously had 1 GB and 256 MB RAM. (If not, where in the RAM card could I see its capacity?)

I also regularly use a registry cleaner (even before the whole thing happened) and I never had the starting up problem. I use CCleaner. What should I do?

#7 ·
If you used a registry cleaner, then ther are probably a great many missing keys in your registry. If they can't be restored from backups, they can't be restored at all, though a repair installation may fix some system registry problems.

1 GB is more than enough for XP and though having more than 512 will slow the boot a bit, it shouldn't do it to the degree that you described.

I'd suggest restoring the things that were removed and trying the other suggestions above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.