1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows live mail not exporting to Outlook 2013?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by machv, Feb 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. machv

machv Thread Starter

I recently put a coply of MS Office 2013 onto a friends computer for them and set up outlook and I cannot get it to export my email from Windows live mail. I have Outlook set as the default mail client and have exhausted the how to on the microsoft help site (used instructions from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980534 ) nothing worked.

I keep getting an error message stating that MAPI isn't setup properly and that I have to set outlook to be the default mail client before it will complete. I have done this and still keep getting the same message. I have also tried exporting the messages in their native formal *.fol but Outlook won't read them. (why MS insists on not building easy portability between its own programs in areas like this is beyond my scope of comprehension or why it cares if I have Outlook installed on that particiular machine or not what if a user wants to put the messages onto another machine that doesn't have live mail on it only Outlook????)

Griping aside I either need a program that can convert the exported *.fol files into a readable *.pst file or compatible format or troubleshoot why live mail isn't seeing that "yes in fact I do have Outlook installed and yes it is set as the default mail client both from Outlook itself and from checking the default program list, I set every file type I could see as default to Outlook and still nothing.

Thanks for your help you guys have never let me down. :eek:

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi there,

You don't need to export your Live account. It's all stored in the cloud. Just set it up on the machine and it will sync it.

Is Outlook not your default mail client?

Outlook is a client only. It's not the mail app. Think of it as a postmaster, just delivering the mail, not creating the mail itself. Live/Hotmail generates the mail, Outlook organizes, sends and receives it. Since everything (for Live/Hotmail) is stored in the cloud (on MS servers running Exchange 2013 [currently]) you don't have to export anything.

3. machv

machv Thread Starter

it is mainly all the folder structure etc... that isn't being tranfered properly from the cloud all messages get put into the inbox on outlook and 1000+ messages to sort through is not something that is acceptable as a solution for either myself or my friend to have to do.

4. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Let me ask a clarifying question, are you using the Windows Live Mail desktop application? If you are you can pretty much ignore everything I've said. I'm not sure how you set up the Outlook account, but if you use an Active Sync connection it will create your folders for you, and an IMAP should too, but a POP will not. Exchange does of course too.

5. machv

machv Thread Starter

sorry for not getting back to you sooner. but the friend i was helping with this told me they sorted it out although i don't know whether that means they managed to pull off the exporting of the folder structure or if they just manually recreated and moved each of he messages in baches to each folder. Thank you for your help though

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1119698

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice