1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Live Mail

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gigi77515, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gigi77515

gigi77515 Thread Starter

I am having problems with Windows Live Mail that came installed in my new Windows 7 Home Premium.

I can receive mail but can't send anything, reply or forward. I see no place you can go in and adjust the smpt server like in windows mail for vista.

Also is there a way to import contacts from a yahoo acct? My yahoo acct is my email addy and I have it set to go dump into a pop3 such as Outlook and it worked fine on Windows Mail for vista where there was a tools and you could go into accounts and set the account up manually. I was also able to import my contacts. Also is there a way to set windows live as to how often it checks for new messages?

I am sure there are good features with this update from Windows Mail or Outlook Express but I don't think all this is worth it!

If I need to delete this yahoo acct from windows live mail and start over can I configure it manually and where would I start and would the settings be the same as in Windows Mail for vista?

Also I hate the side by side screen. Can one go to a top/bottom one like outlook express or Windows Mail for Vista?

As far as that goes can I just download windows mail for vista and use that in Windows 7?

Thanks,
    Gigi

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    As for the reading pane issue, with Live mail open, go to Options and select from the drop down list "Bottom" in the "Reading Pane settings" area. The Options link is on the left side near the top, just below the tool bar area.

Also there in the "More Options" area you will find links to the Contacts import and account settings change area.

3. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    My layout appears to be a little diferent to DaveA's, but,fwiw you might find it a little easier to navigate if you first get the old menu bar back. On mine it is over on the right - see the picture.

Attached Files:

4. gigi77515

gigi77515 Thread Starter

DaveA I found "options" under the menu icom but nothing to select the reading pane. It looks just like the options window of outlook express where you pick General, Read, Receipts, Signature, Spelling, etc. I can now see where I can set the amount of time it checks for email but nothing to change the reading pane.

Davehc, I don't have the menu bar you do with File, etc. How do I change to get that? I think if I can get that I can then make sure everything is configured right to send my emails.

Thanks,

Gigi

5. gigi77515

gigi77515 Thread Starter

Davehc, thanks. I got the menu bar changed. The account set up looks right.

pop.att.yahoo.com
    smpt.att.yahoo.com

Here is the error message I get trying to send mail:
    The connection to the server has failed.
    Subject 'Fw: Title / Lien Information <<#461819-1543765#>>'
    Server: 'smpt.att.yahoo.com'
    Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
    Protocol: SMTP
    Port: 465
    Secure(SSL): Yes
    Socket Error: 10060

6. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
  7. gigi77515

gigi77515 Thread Starter

Dave A and Davehc, thank you both! First of all I am an idiot. I know the acronym SMTP like the bottom of my hands having set up mail accts many times but finally notice after looking at the settings for the zilliointh finally it jumped out at me that I had mistyped and had "smpt".

With your help I got the tool bar w/ file, edit, view, tools, etc at the top!

Also, DaveA, I nver found the reading pane under the tools>options but finally found it under menu icon>layout. Walla! I am a happy camper now with my Windows 7.

Thanks, guys, for another solved issue. Tech guys are the best, bar none!

8. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I had gone a had a look at the "Online" version and you must be using the local installed version. I have not used the local version since Windows 7 Beta.

9. gigi77515

gigi77515 Thread Starter

You lost me on the Widows 7 beta and I don't even need to get more confused learning about it unless I just have to, LOL, (then I will probably be back bugging y'all) but I really appreciate the time you spend trying to help idiots like me.

Yes, I have the installed version on Windows 7 Home Premium.

Gigi

10. gigi77515

gigi77515 Thread Starter

Sorry guys. I am back again. My Windows Live Mail has been working well sending, receiving, replying, forwarding but now I have notice problems when clicking on links in an email. Even when clicking to an email address in the email. After I get this stupid thing about putting a disk in drive D if I do keep clicking 4 or 5 times it just MAY open a new email message for me.

I was just trying to click on http://www.onlinetaxrevolt.com/join/

and here are the places it sent me (copied from my stickly note. First was to my desktop. The next to an invalid address. It took me 6 tries to click on the link to this thread to get me here.

C:\Users\Gigi\Desktop\%20http://www.onlinetaxrevolt.com/join/ (the first click)
    res://ieframe.dll/syntax.htm#%20http://www.onlinetaxrevolt.com/join/ (all clicks thereafter)

____________________________________________________________________________________
    error message when clicking on an email addy and sometimes links, too. This is the one that finally got me back to this thread after 6 tries:
    ____________________________________________________________________________
    "wlmail.exe-No Disk" at top of message in the border.
    "X" (red with the circle around it) "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into Drive D."

Buttons in this error message I can click on but they do nothing but pop write back up until finally what I need will open.
    "Cancel" "Try Again" "Continue"
    I can't even "X" out of it.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I feel like a complete idiot. Believe it or not I was an electronics technician back in the days before the world wide web and designed pacemakers, programmers and test equipment for the pacemakers among other things. We only had computers that we used for our in house information and use. I am lost in this new world of electronics. I used to write comptuer programs in the old days. Geez! Believe it or not I was also very good at my job!

I have sent this computer back twice and it was only bought Jan 7. The first was a month after I bought it and they replaced the hard drive with a refurbished one!! Also it was totally blank and I had to download all the software I needed. The second because the power supply cord wouldn't stay in. It was a very cheap and poorly designed part inside that board and I told them so and they replace it with a different part that seems sturdier.

Gigi

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914059

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice