1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Live Messenger Installation Problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Sand$, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sand$

Sand$ Thread Starter

I have had Windows Live Messenger installed for a long time and I used to use it a lot, but not so much recently. Tonight I opened it up to try to contact someone and it opened fine, but the window included a message telling me that there was a newer version available and asked if I wanted to get the newer version. I clicked "yes" and an installation process began. I had a choice of things to install, but the only item I selected was Windows Live messenger. The process seemed to take longer than what I would have expected, but I patiently waited until it reached 100% installed. Unfortunately a message appeared telling me that it could not install Windows Live Messenger and Windows Live Toolbar (which I had not asked for) and the installation was aborted. It gave an error number 0x80004004 for the Windows Live Messenger and for the Windows Live Toolbar it said it was unable to uninstall an older version of Windows Live Toolbar.

So I figured I would just keep using the version that I had, only that version no longer works. When I click on the icon for Windows Live Messenger I get a message saying that it cannot locate Windows Live Messeger.lnk.

So I went to "Add/Remove Programs" and tried to remove Windows Live Toolbar, but there I got a message saying that it could not find WLToolbar.msi. I then did a "Search" of my hard drive and the search results came up with nothing.

So then I went to www.microsoft.com, searched for Windows Live Messenger, and followed their instructions to download and install it. The same thing happened, i.e. the installation process appeared to be working right up until 100% and then I got the same message about the installation being aborted.

So my question is this, how can I get a working version of Windows Live Messenger back up and running on my computer? I am using Windows XP, SP3.

Thanks for any help that you can give.

2. Sand$

Sand$ Thread Starter

I found an answer on another forum. I went to microsoft.com and downloaded a program named msicuu2.exe. When you install and run it, it displays a list of programs that have been successfully or unsuccessfully installed by a microsoft install program. You can then select one/all of those programs to remove. Although (at least in my case), it didn't really remove the software, it removed whatever it was that was keeping me from being able to install Windows Live Messenger. Everything is working fine now!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/843317

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice