1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Live Messenger Problems

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Warlord Jimmy, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Warlord Jimmy

Warlord Jimmy Thread Starter

I seem to have lost the ability to load up Windows Live Messenger on my computer. None of the desktop icons work. I've tried running the "msnmsgr.exe" in Run... but that didnt work either. My next step was to try re-installing messenger on my computer. So I downloaded the setup file. However when I come to uninstalling the previous version in Add/Remove Programs, there is no "Windows Live Messenger" in the list ( the only windows live item in the list is "windows live essentials". And, of course, installing wndows live messenger from the setup file requires the previous version to be removed first (strangely, it comes up with 2 error messages when I initiate the setup file).

I have recently installed a new wireless broadband router, replacing my old one which had broken. Since the new router was installed (12th March) I have been experiencing this problem. Could be completely unrelated though.

As far as I am aware I have not deleted any Windows Live Messenger files on my computer. And "msnmsgr.exe" is still present in the Program Files folder.

So... yeah, I am slightly confused. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. smith_

smith_

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    When the 2009 version of Windows Live Messenger was released, the install process renamed it "Window Live Essentials". That's why you can't find it in the Add Or Remove Programs list.

Look for other Windows Live entries, such as "upload tool" and "registration", and uninstall those too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Warlord Jimmy

Awwritey, Revo uninstalled the files successfully, then I was able to re-install. All is good there.

But... now theres a new problem. (*sighs*)

Messenger 2009 installed successfully, I can now start the program up, but now it isn't letting me log in. I get the error message:

"We can't sign you in to Windows Live Messenger
    Signing in to Windows Live Messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

Error code: 80040154"

Link to the error help page: here

I followed the instructions as given on that page but it still isn't working. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your help :)

5. Warlord Jimmy

Ahh nevermind! Solved it. I did a repair from the Add/Remove menu, that seems to have fixed it.

Thanks for all your help. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/809004

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice