Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Windows Live Messenger Problems

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Warlord Jimmy 
#1 ·
I seem to have lost the ability to load up Windows Live Messenger on my computer. None of the desktop icons work. I've tried running the "msnmsgr.exe" in Run... but that didnt work either. My next step was to try re-installing messenger on my computer. So I downloaded the setup file. However when I come to uninstalling the previous version in Add/Remove Programs, there is no "Windows Live Messenger" in the list ( the only windows live item in the list is "windows live essentials". And, of course, installing wndows live messenger from the setup file requires the previous version to be removed first (strangely, it comes up with 2 error messages when I initiate the setup file).

I have recently installed a new wireless broadband router, replacing my old one which had broken. Since the new router was installed (12th March) I have been experiencing this problem. Could be completely unrelated though.

As far as I am aware I have not deleted any Windows Live Messenger files on my computer. And "msnmsgr.exe" is still present in the Program Files folder.

So... yeah, I am slightly confused. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

:)

See less See more
#3 ·
When the 2009 version of Windows Live Messenger was released, the install process renamed it "Window Live Essentials". That's why you can't find it in the Add Or Remove Programs list.

Look for other Windows Live entries, such as "upload tool" and "registration", and uninstall those too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
Awwritey, Revo uninstalled the files successfully, then I was able to re-install. All is good there.

But... now theres a new problem. (*sighs*)

Messenger 2009 installed successfully, I can now start the program up, but now it isn't letting me log in. I get the error message:

"We can't sign you in to Windows Live Messenger
Signing in to Windows Live Messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

Error code: 80040154"

Link to the error help page: here

I followed the instructions as given on that page but it still isn't working. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.