1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Live Messenger restarts

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Darren8_306, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Darren8_306

Darren8_306 Thread Starter

This is a little odd...
    Whenever I run Windows Live Messenger ( running and signed in ) my system reboots. No warning, just a black screen, then post.
    Can someone offer a clue ? I cant imagine why it would do that ( microsoft ALWAYS works, doesn't it ). I can usually fix something like that by reinstalling, but this time it had no effect on the problem.
    Thanks,
    Darren

2. Darren8_306

Problem caused by Device Driver

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

More information

Problem report summary

Problem type

Windows stop error (a message appears on a blue screen with error code information)

Solution available?

No

What does this problem mean?

Windows has encountered a problem it cannot recover from and it needs to be restarted

Cause

Unknown

Computer symptoms

A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)

Additional steps for you to take

Please continue to send problem reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible

-----------------------------------
    the preceding is the message I get when I send in the error report...I still have no idea...
    -D

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, You would need the exact information you see in the original error, at least the numbers and info like this> 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)

Then someone can look up that type of error.

It isn't easy to record the error word for word, but the main part of it we need, see if you can get it.

4. Byteman

Hi, I found something that was causing reboots with Live Messenger

http://blog.plaxoed.com/2006/07/17/memory-leak-in-windows-live-messenger/

You have to read down through the posts, the first few are not too critical....down a bit about file sharing, shared folders...
    disabling that feature,
    seemed to solve a reboot problem, and high CPU use, slowdowns...perhaps part of your system error.

Especially this one, that caught my eye:

"""I just got a spanky new puter, & has been running messenger 8.0 with no issues until today, when I downloaded and installed the JAVA sun update. ONce that went on, my computer rebooted eervy five minutes if I had Messenger open.""" ?

5. Darren8_306

thanks, Byteman, I read a bunch of that thread and am trying the solutions suggested. I cannot provide the error message on reboot because there is not one. It may be ther but too fast to see. I am disabling sharing folders ( which worked last week !) and hoping that is it.
    I will keep you advised as to the outcome.
    -Darren

6. Darren8_306

I have had, I think eliminated the reboot issue. Just before that problem vanished I had disabled sharing folders, as per an earlier suggestion.
    Now, I am not a doctor, but I think the events may be related.
    Thanks,
    Darren

7. Byteman

Hi, Hope it stays good. I wonder though, how you are supposed to share anything with it set like this- maybe there will be a better fix issued from Microsoft soon. You can mark your own thread "Solved" when you are satisfied that it is, by using the Thread Tools button at the top of the page, the drop down arrow has the Mark Solved in the menu. Adios.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543771

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice