1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Live problem

Discussion in 'Games' started by talikmon, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. talikmon

talikmon Thread Starter

Hi there folks,

It's been about a year (maybe less) since I played a game that uses Windows Live. I just got hold of a copy of Red Faction Guerrilla.

1: Installed game
    2: Couldn't remember what my last Live ID was so when I was asked to login to Live ( a window that appears just before you actually start playing) I elected to create a new one.
    3: Created a new Live ID, confirmed it with the confirmation email.
    4: Went back into Red Faction and logged into LIVE as well as typing in my Red Faction serial key which Live required
    5: LIVE then requested an update which I let it do (took about 20 minutes)
    6: Game restarted for changes to take effect
    7: Got back to the LIVE login screen and tried logging in, only to get this error "Windows LIVE ID is not associated with a LIVE Gamertag".

I've scoured the net for an answer to this and can find nothing. LIVE Center itself is a big heap of nothing, only one little thread existed regarding this topic and it was answered with "phone xbox support" before the moderator closed the thread. I'm not even using an XBOX, this is a pc game.

At this point I started wondering and installed two other games that use LIVE. I can't play them either, same error. I am now assuming that all 15 or so LIVE games I have on my shelf are now completely useless.

Please, someone here give me a ray of hope and some helpful advice.

Thanks for your time,
    Cheers.

2. neofan3

neofan3

It sounds like LIVE thinks that you are a different person than the one with your previous ID. You probably can only sort it out by contacting a phone customer service. I had a similar problem with STEAM. Online steam customer service made me feel like I was trying to hustle my way into somebody games' account. I only dealt with STEAM only by buying a VALVE CD by mistake ( I didnt know it is steam ). My best advice for myself is stay away from both LIVE and STEAM.

3. talikmon

talikmon Thread Starter

I've tried dialing them, their phone support thing does not support South Africa and there is no actual forum to post on, just common problems and possible solutions. And no, staying away from LIVE or STEAM is not a solution - not when I have so many games that use LIVE.

I've posted this question on about 3 other tech forums and I either get no replies or rather unhelpful replies like yours. Seriously, am I the only frikkin person in this universe that has had this problem?

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    If you don't have a gamertag for the XBOX Live, you will need to create one for the PC. Try this link on how to create one. Its listed on Create your FREE Games for Windows – LIVE account i think.

5. talikmon

talikmon Thread Starter

Funnily enough, I saw that and didn't try it - I kept seeing the word XBOX everytime I ended up there and thought "this can't be right". With your advice, I did it anyways and WALLA IT WORKS.

You sir, deserve a medal for being the only person out of a number of websites that gave me this advice, thank you.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    (y) glad to help.

Microsoft is not that great in being specific... i figured you can get a gamer tag for the PC games... would be silly not to :)
    You can mark this thread solved by clicking on the Mark Solved on the top left.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024536

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice