1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Live Search Stealing Google

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by panamahat, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Hi All,
    All of a sudden Windows Live Search has begun insinuating itself into my searches and web addresses. I've tried everything to delete it, but it's still there. Some urls it lets connect; others it forces to the Live Search page where it gives me its list of relevant sites. I already know the relevant site! It's what I typed in the url bar! There is one site in particular that it will never connect to and that's Castle Cops. I posted elsewhere to ask if CC is experiencing a DOS but am asking here for advice to get rid of this live search beast.
    Many thanks,
    PH

2. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    Whats your default browser and search defaults currently set to?

3. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Hi Everway9,

Thanks for responding.

IE and Google are my defaults.

I keep disabling Live Search and it keeps reinstalling itself as the default.

Yesterday, I disabled all IE add-ons, made sure that I had Google set as the default and Live Search continued to insinuate itself.

Thanks again,
    Jane

4. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Hi, I stated something incorrectly in my first reply. Windows Live Search will NOT let me remove it as the default dearch provider. The Remove button AND Add button are both greyed out so not only can't I get rid of it, it won't allow me to add any others.
    Thanks again,Jane

5. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    Do you have administrator rights on your user account?

6. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758921

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice