1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Livemail - unable to send or receive Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x80

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MCROZ, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MCROZ

MCROZ Thread Starter

This issue suddenly occurred today - quote :

Unable to send or receive messages for the Yahoo.co.uk (account). The connection to the server has failed.

Server: 'pop.mail.yahoo.com'
    Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
    Protocol: POP3
    Port: 110
    Secure(SSL): No
    Socket Error: 10061

To be clear - I have NOT changed any mail account or server settings since I started using WIN7 and Livemail almost 4 years ago. I am able to send and receive Yahoo account mail using my iPad and using my WIN7 laptop if I access my mail account via the web.I am only unable to send/receive from laptop when trying to connect to mail server today.

I am using MS Security Essentials as my only Antivirus program and have been for at least 2 years. I do not have any other AV program installed

My outgoing mail (SMTP) server port number is set at 587 (changing to 25 has no effect)
    Icoming Mail (POP3) is set at 110
    Server Timeout is set at 1 minute
    Outgoing mail server is checked as "requires authentication"

EDIT - Servers :
    Icoming mail (POP 3) is set as pop.mail.yahoo.com
    Outgoing mail (SMTP) is set as smtp.mail.yahoo.uk

These settings have not been changed since originally established and were working perfectly 2 days ago. I had not accessed mail on the laptop, which had been powered off, for 2 days.
    Any ideas ?

Thanks

2. MCROZ

MCROZ Thread Starter

For the benefit of anyone who has a similar problem .... I eventually found this on the Yahoo web site

Yahoo Mail
    We've recently updated our servers for your safety and now require a secure connection when accessing Yahoo Mail from a mobile device or mail client.

If you're using an unsecured connection, you'll receive a connection-related error. Don't worry, here's how to fix it.

POP server settings
    Want to access Yahoo Mail from an email program like Outlook or Mac Mail? Here's the settings you'll need.

Incoming Mail (POP) Server - Requires SSLSecure Socket Layer
    •Server: pop.mail.yahoo.com
    •Port: 995
    •Requires SSL: Yes
    Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - Requires TLSTransport Layer Security
    •Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    •Port: 465 or 587
    •Requires SSL: Yes
    •Requires authentication: Yes
    If your POP client doesn't offer TLS, you'll still be able to use SSL.

Login info - Requires authentication

•Email address: Your full email address ([email protected])
    •Password: Your account's password.

In my case I simply had to check the SSL box, which automatically set the incoming port to 995. It also set the outgoing to 25, which I reset to 587. Problem solved.

Would have been nice if Yahoo had warned me of the "update" in advance.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1115094

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice