1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows mail for xp, possible?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JoeyG, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

Hello I had to hook up a new computer for a friend, he originally had vista with Windows mail, His new one is an XP SP3, but now he wants windows mail installed on the XP, ok I'll try it, however how do I import his Former windows mail file location from vista into the one I attempt to install on xp.. In another words will Vista's file location for windows mail, be the same for XPs location for windows mail? For I know in outlook the locations are different, in Vista as oppose to XP.. Thanks In Advance.

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    do u mean windows live email? if he has xp just download it again and use the same user name and password he had when he had it on vista.i dont think u can import it but i may be wrong.if he didnt delete the account it should all still be there when he goes back to xp. when ive gone from vista and windows 7 back to xp i have to download and reinstall my aol yahoo etc to work on xp but all my settings are still there as far as emails contacts etc.hope this helps u.the program will be in the program files after its installed.

3. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick response but, Apparently Windows Live mail and Windows AMil are different, which is frustrating, on top of that I just want to import the Windows mail Info into Windows Live now, Because apparently XP cannot use Windows Mail, but CAN use windows Live mail.. I'm not a Microsoft expert yet, but I don't know why they use email programs with such similar names, yet they offer them with no import export compatibility options.. Frustrating.. For I have all the contacts info from windows mail, but cnnot do anything with it, barring jumping to vista, and my friend does not wanna do that., Can I translate the files into something else such as a PST file to import them in outlook?, I just don't know anymore options at this point?

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    u are very welcome all i know is windows live hotmail. lol!!!!im sure someone else will be by to offer more help.the only other mail that windows xp offers is outlook express which ive never used.

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Thread Starter

OK I GOT IT TO WORK!!! I'm just not exactly sure how.. But I did install Windows Live, and put his name and password in.. No sync, no history, it was like a brand new account.. So then I went to where his old files were, (I simply put them in his documents), and opened them, Windows mail live opened them without much difficulty, or fanfare, and I could see and read emails and addresses, however they still weren't part of his new account.. I tried this multiple times, and still nothing.. Also his web email (Comcast.net) Did not save ANY, either messages OR addresses ever.. So I was out there.. I went to Comcast settings to see how to sync up ports and whatnot, and in the process, of closing and reentering windows live a couple times it eventually synced up with the old Windows Live Mail files, now I didn't actually import them, i simply kept opening the old ones with windows live and eventually his new account was populated with all the info I had from previous hdd.. I then saw all his unread messages, and attemted to send, no luck, i went to comcast and got the settings for Windows mail live and comcast together put in the proper information and port numbers, and voila!! It was like it never left.. Unless windows Live works off it's own server, and saves all your info and messages (WHICH IS WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN), I somehow retrieved his old info without manully importing, it but simply opening it.. I AM HAPPY IT WORKED, but wish I knew exactly WHY it did, but regardless had it not been for your tips, I would still be working on it.. THANKS SUE!!!! I APPRECIATE IT!!! :) GOOD STUFF!!!!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973238

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice