1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(solved) Windows Me: Defragmenting

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by david needs, Dec 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. david needs

david needs Thread Starter

My hard drive is 8.4 gig it takes forever to defrag,is there
    any way to speed it up.Please help.:D

2. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Do your scandisk, defrag and all in safemode. If 98, restart and begin tapping F8 after the first screen. When you get the menu page, choose safemode>enter. It will look different so dont worry. When finished just restart and it will go back to windows normal.

3. tosim33

tosim33

Download the defrag utility from WINME. It is fairly fast. If you can't find it, search at google, or let me know.

4. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

5. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

6. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

I also found this article.

I was just reading your column, and I noticed the question from the guy (Bigdg, I think it was) about why Windows gives out of memory errors when he tries to defrag. Your answers were good, but I would bet $50 that I know why it is happening...

Up until about a month ago, I did technical support for Windows 98. As drives got bigger and bigger, we discovered something interesting - Windows will always give not enough memory errors when you have one huge partition (i.e. bigger than 13GB or so, ...) and you defrag it. The reason is the way Windows breaks down the partition into clusters. The FAT32 file system was not really designed to handle the number of clusters you get when you have a partition that big, so no matter how much RAM you have, it will always crap out on you...

The solution I would recommend would be to repartition into smaller partitions, preferably under 8.1GB. You lose the advantage of FAT32 when you have a partition bigger than this, because you go from 4k clusters (good - the reason you want FAT32 in the first place) to 8k clusters (the same as FAT16, and with a partition that damn big, you're going to see a performance hit because of it... This should take care of the out of memory errors that Bigdg and others in his predicament are having...

So my guess is that its pushing the limit right now.

7. david needs

david needs Thread Starter

Thanks all your help worked.:D

8. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Glad to hear it. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice