1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Me "Explorer has caused an error in OLE32.DLL"

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by zeke13, Nov 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zeke13

zeke13 Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm trying to fix a friend's machine. It was infected very badly. I ran Norton, cwshredder, and several spyware removals. I was able to run Firefox. I then tried to reinstall ME and now I get "Explorer has caused an error in OLE32.DLL" everytime I log in (safe mode also). I can't use the start button. I did manage to get the system restore, but the owner never mader a restore start date. When the machine was running I couldn't repair, run, unistall, or upgrade IE. The machine would not let me run Ad-Aware. I'm basically stuck using DOS and have only the ME install CD. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Zeke

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Try the reinstall again. A successfully completed reinstall from valid (OEM or retail Microsoft) reinstallation media (not burned) should not produce that error unless the system is still badly infected.

System restore points are automatically removed during any reinstall, by the way.

I'm going to add that you might want to try loading "progman.exe" per the Microsoft directions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q279736

In "progman.exe" you may be able to run Internet Explorer and navigate to an online scanner and try running it. Or save as much data as you can pending a "clean install"

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/active...guage=2&Country=63&Partner=1&Ref=EN-PR-AS-107

3. zeke13

zeke13 Thread Starter

Thanks for quick reply,

I have tried numerous times reinstalling ME. During updating the plug and play I get all kinds of errors. It is a valid Microsoft reinstallation CD.

I wish I could start in "program.exe". but I don't have a startup disk to get to the startup menu. I did make reboot diskette after cleaning up the disk, but the machine does not start from the diskette.

Thanks for the info on the restore points. It's been awhile but I do remember that now.

Thanks again,
    Craig

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you made a standard WinME startup (boot) floppy and it did not take you to an a: prompt, the likely cause would be not having the floppy drive (a: drive) set as the first boot device in the BIOS.

You have to watch the first data displayed on the screen to see what key to press to enter "setup", which is the BIOS.

Otherwise the problem may be with either the floppy itself or the floppy drive.

You don't need a WinME computer to make a WinME bootdisk. You can download the WinME OEM boot floppy setup to the HARD drive of any system, place a floppy in the floppy drive and run the setup to transfer the files (do not download the setup to the floppy drive).

http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

>> what kinds of errors are you having here:
    You may have underlying hardware problems such as faulty ram or a bad disk drive.

It would also be a good idea to remove any external hardware -- sound, network, modem cards, etc -- and install those only after setup and hardware detection are complete.

5. zeke13

zeke13 Thread Starter

I tried to do another reintall using the custom options, and the bare installation. No multimedia or plug and play.

I received the same errors I talked about earlier:

Windows cannot find '1'. You may have typed the name incorrectly in the Run dialog or another open program cannot find a system file. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

Windows cannot find 'FlushRegistry'. You may have typed the name incorrectly in the Run dialog or another open program cannot find a system file. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

I don't have a floppy on my XP, so I'm going to burn the boot file to a cd and then copy it using DOS to a floppy. Then I will try to do a start using 'program.exe'.

The main item infecting the machine before I started cleaning it was SpySherrif. Nasty bug!!!

Thanks for the patience and help,
    Craig

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

There are no such Windows files "1" and "Flushregistry" -- so these "missing" files must be something previously installed by 3rd party programs or a part of the OEM installation media you are using. They would not be a part of a Microsoft Retail CD.

Typically their failure to load would not prevent you from starting in Safe Mode. Have you tried that again?

If you do get progman.exe up, run msconfig and look under the startup tab. All you need there for now is Scanregistry and System Tray. Everything else can be unchecked.

In creating a bootable floppy, remember that the setup file itself is not what you want on the floppy -- the files that are extracted from the setup must be on the floppy.

When you reinstalled Windows, did you ever reach the point where you were prompted to create a bootable floppy? Windows would have done it for you then.

7. zeke13

zeke13 Thread Starter

With quick key stroking I can get the run prompt up in normal mode. I ran msconfig and unchecked all the boxes, except for the 2, and did a reboot. I still receive the ole32.dll error.

The CD I'm using is labeled: Operating System, Reinstallation CD WMe from Dell. It does not ask me to create a floppy. I get the "1" and "Flushregistry" errors during the plug and play portion at the end.

Any new ideas since I can now reach a run prompt?

Greatly appreciated,
    Craig

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What hardware is currently attached to the system?

When you say you get a "run prompt", does that mean the start button appears and you get it that way? Or do you use the Winkey+R?

Does the Desktop load? Does the ole32.dll also occur when trying a Safe Mode boot?

Can you run explorer.exe and navigate using it? Howabout progman.exe ?

Ole32.dll should be in c:\windows\system -- can you find it, right click on it and select Properties > Version. What is the version number?

can you run control appwiz.cpl and open Add/Remove programs? Is Internet Explorer there?

Can you get online?

The Dell OEM CD should be equivalent to the Microsoft Retail CD as far as I know. However Dell should also have provided a "Drivers" CD for any original hardware that came with the computer. Have you tried installing what it will install?

9. zeke13

zeke13 Thread Starter

Thanks again for the help,

What hardware is currently attached to the system? monitor only

When you say you get a "run prompt", does that mean the start button appears and you get it that way? Or do you use the Winkey+R? I use the Winkey + R

Does the Desktop load? Does the ole32.dll also occur when trying a Safe Mode boot? The desktop loads. Start button, icons, and quick launches don't work. Yes I do receive the error in Safe Mode boot.

Can you run explorer.exe and navigate using it? Howabout progman.exe ? Neither program works.

Ole32.dll should be in c:\windows\system -- can you find it, right click on it and select Properties > Version. What is the version number? I can only reach the file in DOS and don't know the command to display its properties.

can you run control appwiz.cpl and open Add/Remove programs? Is Internet Explorer there? Yes I can run control. No Internet Explorer is not on the list. Below is the list of programs.
    broadjump client foundation
    ca etrust pestpatrol
    conexant hcf v90 56k data fax pci modem (uninstall)
    delete windows millenium unistall information
    dell resource cd
    easy cd creator 5 basic
    epson printer software
    epson usb printer devices
    hijackthis 1.99.1
    kodak easyshare software
    lifereg (symantec corporation)
    liveupdate 1.6(symantec corporation)
    microsoft office xp media content
    microsoft office xp small business
    mozilla firefox (1.0.6)
    norton antivirus 2001
    oin
    quicktime
    sbc yahoo! applications
    uninstall windows millenium
    visual ip insight(sbc)
    winzip
    yahoo! install manager

Can you get online? Yes, I can run firefox.exe

The Dell OEM CD should be equivalent to the Microsoft Retail CD as far as I know. However Dell should also have provided a "Drivers" CD for any original hardware that came with the computer. Have you tried installing what it will install? No, I will give this a shot while you look over the rest of the reply.

Many thanks!!!!!

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

11. zeke13

zeke13 Thread Starter

This did work:
    regsvr32 ole32.dll

you should get a message "dllregisterserver in ole32.dll succeeded"

Yes internet explorer does work properly. I used the browser to locate the version of the dll, it is : 2.30.200.1

IE is version 5.5

The drivers CD starts loading the files, loads about a dozen files in, and then bombs out and goes to the a:\ prompt.

Earlier I had mentioned when plug and play was installing I received 2 errors. One of them concerning a '1' that windows could not find. I looked at my IE connection and there was a modem number with a bunch of 1's at the end. I removed the connection. Rebooted the machine and the internet connection was gone. However the ole32.dll error still continues.

Thanks once again

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Boy that's a very old version of ole32.dll -- but I'm just not sure what the original WinME version number is. Did that file carry the Microsoft copyright?

Do you have cabinet files on the drive? They would be in either the location:

c:\windows\options\install

or

c:\windows\options\cabs

If you do, you can try running msconfig and selecting "extract one file".

Then extract ole32.dll to the location c:\windows\system

You can also extract from the installation CD, the cabinet files will be in the "win98" folder.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;129605#XSLTH4125121122120121120120

Also, it may be a bit of a side trip, but you might want to try updating Internet Explorer:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...cb-5e5d-48f5-b02b-20b602228de6&DisplayLang=en

13. aarhus2004

aarhus2004 Gone but always remembered

WinME ole32.dll version 4.71.3328.0

That's on mine anyway. Modified: June 8, 2000, 5:00:00 PM

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Thanks -- I thought there was something funky about that version. I don't think it's a Microsoft file at all -- but one that might have been substituted by a virus. I am puzzled as to why it was not replaced during the reinstall.

It is going to have to be replaced manually and re-registered.

>> any chance you could zip that file up for him and upload it as an attachment? He might have some issues getting it off the CD or cabinet files if he has them.

edit: Zeke, if you have HijackThis on the computer and can run it, select "Open the Misc Tools section". Put a check in "list also minor sections". Then select "generate StartupList" and post the startup list here.

If you are unable to do that, go to Start > Run: enter sysedit and copy/paste the contents of the autoexec.bat file here.

15. aarhus2004

aarhus2004 Gone but always remembered

Roger, it is too large at 416KB.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/414617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice