Solved: Windows ME-I think the modem is on the wrong com port can someone help??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xfile47

Windows ME-I think the modem is on the wrong com port can someone help??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows ME
Helping the Methodist Preacher in my small town

The computer dials up but keeps but won't connect when it is verifying the username and password it disconnects with the errorr message

The computer you're dialing cannot establish a dial-up Networking connection. Your server type setting might be incorrect to fix this problem contact your ISP or admin.

I no the Internet connection is setup right
I put the server addresses in myself so I no those are right

I think the problem is the com port
In the device manager if you click the + sign next to Ports Com & LPT it shows the LPT and com1 and com2.

If you go to control panel and click on modems then diagnostics it shows
com 1 no modem installed
com 2 no modem installed
com 3 has the modem an Internal 56K voice faxmodem

how do I get com 3 working or how do I change it so the modem is on com 1 or 2.

This must be the problem but I don't no how to do that. Do you just remove the modem and the startup and let it redetect it or how do I get this thing so I can connectt. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Couriant

James
The default for a modem is COM3. COM1 and COM2 are for the serial ports.

Perform the tests on the modem. If the tests come up quickly (like <2secs) then the modem is fine.

xfile47

Modem seems to be fine. you can hear it dialing out, and goes as far as verifying the username and password but right before it would normally connect it then disconnects. with a 650 error, it says
The computer you're dialing cannot establish a dial-up Networking connection. Your server type setting might be incorrect, to fix the problem contact your ISP.

the preacher that owns this computer was on the phone with the ISP for 1 and 1/2 hours night before last. He said they did everything and finally they said to have someone else check it.

I have gone through and the dial-up is set up right. I went through Telnet and did the at it said ok, then atel and it said ok, then the atdt and the number and it made the sould of a telephone when you first pick it up. The steady buzz. So like it was making a connection but it did not actully dial the number.

The modem is an Internal Zoom Telephonics. Say its a Internal 56K Voice Faxmodem. The only other thing I can think of is there is no Intial string in the modem, would that make the big difference? I went to Zoom web site but there are so many Intialization strings I have no idea which one I should put in. On the modem all I can find are some Numbers such as

v2.057-56K_2m_DKO-AZ201

A007880284c6002f

18357 /V90uV
V:2.o57-A /CS:026B

Those do not mean anytning to me, Any help would be appreciated. I also ran Modemchk program and it show the modem right away and new it was on com3

I have no idea, should I try a new modem?? or is there something else I can try???

I am desparate

xfile47

I got it fixed, I ended up putting in a used modem and it connected right away. Thanks for you help. I will close this thread.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online