1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Me to 98 SE

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Jonno_93, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jonno_93

Jonno_93 Thread Starter

I have a laptop currently with Windows Me on, but I deleted the uninstall information (Yeah, I know, good one. :D ) anyway, I was wondering how to go about formating the hard drive and installed Windows 98 SE. I am asking because I don't want to screw up my laptop. lol. Btw my Win 98SE Disk Is the full version NOT and upgrade.
    PLEASE HELP :confused:

2. Old Bob

Old Bob

Jonno,

You CAN'T install Win98SE [1998] directly over WinME [2000] because Microsoft does not permit going "backwards".

As you suggested [after you have copied everything you want to save] you have to "format" the hard drive to remove WinME then install Win98SE.

You will need the "complete" CD [For computers WITHOUT Windows] NOT an upgrade or recovery CD.

NOTE: You will also find the laptop has a lot of files [battery, etc] that is not on the Win98SE CD !!! You can probably get the from the laptop manufacturer's home page.
    I did this for my IBM Thinkpad.

3. Jonno_93

Jonno_93 Thread Starter

Could you tell me how to go about formating e.c.t, and correct me if im wrong but on windows setups, don't you get the options to install things for a, typical or portable (laptop) computer

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Make sure the floppy drive and CDROM drive are both working.

You need a fully-bootable startup floppy disk that contains the FORMAT.COM file and the generic CDROM drivers. Bob Cerelli's site has a download link where you can obtain a file to create one. It's also designed to automatically assign the letter "X" to the CDROM drive so you don't have to guess which letter to use in DOS mode. I've use it several times for formatting a hard drive and doing a fresh install of Windows 98SE and Windows ME. This is the link for obtaining the win98_img.exe file:

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/software_download.htm

Click the "Windows 98 boot floppy" link to download it. After it's been downloaded and saved, insert a blank floppy disk in its drive. Double-click the file and allow it to extract its contents into the blank floppy disk. Do not simply copy the file to the A:\ window because it won't work that way. Once you're done, open the A:\ window to confirm the files have been copied.

Make sure you have the 25-digit product code to that full version Windows 98SE CD.

Make sure you know what type of display adapter, sound device, modem, and network adapter are in that laptop because you'll need to install the drivers for them after doing a fresh install of Windows 98SE. If you can download and burn them to a CD-R before you start, you'll be able to install them right away afterwards.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once you've done the above, make use of this link:

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/win9x_install.htm

It'll take you through the steps of formatting the hard drive and doing a fresh install of windows 98SE.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. Old Bob

Old Bob

Jonno,

You don't say what make or model your laptop is, but this is my experience with an IBM T-21 Thinkpad.

I bought a "refurbished" notebook with a 20 gig HD with only Win98SE installed and "miles" of empty space on HD. I planned to setup a dual boot of Win98SE & Linux. When I first booted up I noticed there were many additional icons [in lower right corner] that are not on my desktop version of Win98SE.

I formatted the HD and split it with a partition to two 10 gig parts. When I reinstalled Win98SE I used the "typical" installation NOT the "laptop" installation, all the battery related info was missing so I don't know if the laptop installation would have included this. I know I did have to download drivers [video, sound & modem] from the IBM site.

Don't know if you even have a floppy drive, but the IBM setup is "tricky". You can have EITHER the floppy drive OR the CD drive installed. I ended up copying the boot floppy onto a "bootable" CD so that I could install Win98SE with just the CD drive installed.

Good Luck, Post any additional questions.

6. Jonno_93

Jonno_93 Thread Starter

7. Old Bob

Old Bob

Jonno,

So, are you happy with the results ????

8. Jonno_93

Jonno_93 Thread Starter

Yeah! Thank You 4 ur help

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice