1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows ME, won't even boot anymore

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by lisak2, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lisak2

lisak2 Thread Starter

My desktop computer (not the one I am on right now) has Windows ME on it. When trying to boot it up, the computer loads to the OS screen but then proceeds to SOUND like it's trying to do something, but goes no further...even in Safe Mode. I do plan on installing a new OS onto this computer, but for now...what can I do? :( please help.

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi have you tried f 8 at start up choose Last known good configuration?

3. lisak2

lisak2 Thread Starter

F8 at startup did not give me that option...only the option to boot in safemode or to do a step by step confirmation

4. lisak2

lisak2 Thread Starter

Ah! was finally able to boot up in safemode by bypassing my startup options. However, my system will not let me do a system restore to any earlier date and it still will not boot up in regular mode. When it does, it sticks on the screen "recognized new hardware, finding software". I have a new monitor on the computer and I do not have my old one anymore. The screen never goes past that point.

5. lisak2

lisak2 Thread Starter

FINALLY got the thing to boot up by creating a boot disk in safemode and then booting with that. WHEW! Well, we're not out of the woods yet. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions :)

6. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi in safe mode check that StateMgr and PCHealth are active at startup.
    Start>run>type msconfig>click start up tab.

I see that you have two threads running...best to keep to one.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490278

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice