1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Media Player 11 Media Sharing Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Highdro, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Highdro

Highdro Thread Starter

Well, I'm not sure what to do here. Up until a few days ago I was sharing my media with all computers on my network on my wireless router.

Now when I log into windows and open WMP 11 it says that I am no longer sharing media, would you like to turn on sharing? So I say yes and confirm to share my media to all devices on my network, mainly my PS3.

I uninstalled it and reinstalled it (well it actually just reverted back). I also checked to make sure that Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service is set to automatic in Admin tools. And also checked windows firewall that it allows the service.

So I am at a loss here, I don't know how to get my media sharing capabilites back. I know its not my PS3, as I am sharing media from my laptop right now. Any suggestions?

Thanks High

2. Highdro

Highdro Thread Starter

Sonnyboy quote:
    PS3 and Vista Sharing Sorted
    Found it. Disabled IPSEC Services and rebooted my router and hey presto media sharing in vista with PS3. Although I had disabled this before and restarted my computer I had not rebooted the router (ie turned it off and on again). This was the important thing on my set up and I missed it.

Funny thing is IPSEC Services do not have to be disabled in XP.

Hope this helps someone.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This actually worked for my Windows XP, I am now able to share, but is this a safe thing to have turned off?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice