1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Media Player 11

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Topdragon, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Topdragon

Topdragon Thread Starter

Hi Guys.
    I'm a newbie to this site but I hope someone can help with a really weird problem.
    This might be a bit long as I explain what steps I've taken to resolve the issue.

I am on Windows XP Home edition, Pentium 4. Yes, it's quite an old PC, but it's been fine until.........

Suddenly my WMP 11 has started producing an empty folder with the name (Zither music) on my desktop every single time I open WMP. If I delete it, it reappears immediately as long as WMP is open.
    I say empty folder, but in fact there is yet another empty folder inside it named (playlists).
    When I close WMP is stays deleted. Until the next time I open the programme!

I have tried every single thing I can think of to get rid of it but without success.
    I did have a folder called Zither music in the "My Music" folder, but there was no playlist for it within WMP.
    Neither is there anything in WMP under album/genre/song/artist or any other heading.
    So the first thing I did was delete the whole folder with the music in it.
    Doing a search for a file/folder with that name now produces nothing. I have searched about 6 times. There is no folder with the name zither music, or even just zither. It does not exist according to Windows.
    So where is this folder coming from?

So I tried a defrag/CCleaner/virus scan/Spybot scan.
    Didn't solve the problem.
    So I went into safe mode and repeated the above, plus a 4 phase error check (took about 8 hours) plus yet another search for the folder.
    Made no difference. The damn folder still reappears every time I open WMP.
    Please help me get rid of it!

I am quite prepared to delete and reinstall WMP 11, but there seems to be no way to save or move the albums that are listed within the programme and I don't want to lose all my music. Everything is in the My Music folder, but I have made some compilation playlists in WMP and I can't find any way at all to move them or save them.
    Anyone got any ideas?
    Thanks. :(:(

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I not seen this error with WMP, but I have seen other programs have similar issues. The folder likely does not exist any more (as you have determined), but somewhere in the registry or the software configuration that folder is referenced, thus whenever that app is run, it is creating the folder.

Are any of the songs from that folder listed in any of your playlists?

3. stantley

stantley

In WMP go to Tools > Options > Rip Music tab, is that folder listed under "Rip music to this location"?

If so you can move the folder somewhere else by clicking on "Change".

But if you delete the folder, WMP will always create a new one.

4. Topdragon

Topdragon Thread Starter

Thanks, but no, none of the tunes had any titles, just Track Number nn.
    But please see below, the problem has been solved by Stantley.
    Thanks guys.

5. Topdragon

Topdragon Thread Starter

YES!
    Thank you! The folder was there, (God knows how that happened as I always rip to desktop) but reverting the rip location to desktop has finally got rid of that pesky folder.
    Thanks very much guys.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086836

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice