1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Media Player 11

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Red Boy, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Red Boy

Red Boy Thread Starter

Recently downloaded and installed Media Player 11. Previously had 10. Media 11 working fine. However, after installing I checked in Add Remove Programs and confirmed it was there. But what I was wondering: what happened to 10? Did 11 automatically remove or load on top of same. The only thing relative to 10 in Add Remove Programs is: "Windows Media Player 10 hot fix (see emerald QFE2 for more information". It shows it being installed on 8/16/2005. Should I attempt to uninstall this Media 10 notation? Or just leave well enough alone?

Thanks,
    Red Boy:confused:

2. ferrija1

ferrija1

Media Player 10 cannot be used anymore and if you can remove the 11 update you go back to 10.

3. Red Boy

Red Boy Thread Starter

Ferrija1, can you please clarify or expand on your comment? Are you saying that should I uninstall 11, I would automatically revert back to 10? And is that what is suggested by the notation: Windows Media Player 10 hot fix (see emerald QFE2 for more information"?)

Thanks,
    Red Boy

4. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Actually, if you uninstall 11, you revert to 9. Version 10 is no longer available for download. If you attempt to download 10 from Microsoft's site, you get 11.

Courtney sends...

5. ferrija1

ferrija1

For the update question, leave it. You should never remove old updates unless they are causing problems.

Unless your having problems with 11, leave it.

Courtneyc, if you remove 11 don't you go to 10? :confused:

6. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Why bother looking for problems where there aren't any? Just be happy that WMP11 is working.

7. Red Boy

Red Boy Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your thoughts/comments.

MysticEyes, certainly not looking for problems. I have enough of those. Only looking for answers.

Red Boy:)

8. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Well that's my point. I see too many posts where folks have a well functioning machine yet feel the need to to 'fix' things that don't need fixing, the most common being Registry Cleaners and using 3rd party Defraggers to defrag every day.

9. ferrija1

ferrija1

I agree, we need to have a registry cleaners sticky.......

10. Red Boy

Red Boy Thread Starter

Agree! Most people do attempt to "fix" things that don't need fixing. However, the sagacious try to find out what needs fixing and what doesn't. That, as I understand it, is, in part, the objective of the Tech Support Guy Forums -- i.e. to advise people accordingly. I don't think in my original post I implied that I fixed anything. Only enquired about WMP 10 and 11. Learned a long time ago not to "fix" what I knew nothing or little about. Since I don't know much, I don't fix much ... at least not without first communicating with those with more experience and expertise.

Red Boy:)

11. ferrija1

ferrija1

When/if your thread is solved, please mark your thread solved by selecting Mark Solved and clicking Perform Action in the Thread Tools at the top of your thread. ;)

12. Denver Dave

Denver Dave

13. lister

lister

Actually, If you had v10 installed previously you revert to v10; and you can download WMP 10 from Microsoft (everything from 6.4 up).

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice