Solved: Windows Media Player 11

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Red Boy

Recently downloaded and installed Media Player 11. Previously had 10. Media 11 working fine. However, after installing I checked in Add Remove Programs and confirmed it was there. But what I was wondering: what happened to 10? Did 11 automatically remove or load on top of same. The only thing relative to 10 in Add Remove Programs is: "Windows Media Player 10 hot fix (see emerald QFE2 for more information". It shows it being installed on 8/16/2005. Should I attempt to uninstall this Media 10 notation? Or just leave well enough alone?

Thanks,
Red Boy:confused:

Media Player 10 cannot be used anymore and if you can remove the 11 update you go back to 10.

Red Boy

Ferrija1, can you please clarify or expand on your comment? Are you saying that should I uninstall 11, I would automatically revert back to 10? And is that what is suggested by the notation: Windows Media Player 10 hot fix (see emerald QFE2 for more information"?)

Thanks,
Red Boy

Actually, if you uninstall 11, you revert to 9. Version 10 is no longer available for download. If you attempt to download 10 from Microsoft's site, you get 11.

Courtney sends...

Red Boy said:
Ferrija1, can you please clarify or expand on your comment? Are you saying that should I uninstall 11, I would automatically revert back to 10? And is that what is suggested by the notation: Windows Media Player 10 hot fix (see emerald QFE2 for more information"?)

Thanks,
Red Boy
For the update question, leave it. You should never remove old updates unless they are causing problems.

Unless your having problems with 11, leave it.

Courtneyc, if you remove 11 don't you go to 10? :confused:

MysticEyes

Banned
Red Boy said:
Recently downloaded and installed Media Player 11. Previously had 10. Media 11 working fine. However, after installing I checked in Add Remove Programs and confirmed it was there. But what I was wondering: what happened to 10? Did 11 automatically remove or load on top of same. The only thing relative to 10 in Add Remove Programs is: "Windows Media Player 10 hot fix (see emerald QFE2 for more information". It shows it being installed on 8/16/2005. Should I attempt to uninstall this Media 10 notation? Or just leave well enough alone?

Thanks,
Red Boy:confused:
Why bother looking for problems where there aren't any? Just be happy that WMP11 is working.

Red Boy

Thanks everyone for your thoughts/comments.

MysticEyes, certainly not looking for problems. I have enough of those. Only looking for answers.

Red Boy:)

MysticEyes

Banned
Red Boy said:
Thanks everyone for your thoughts/comments.

MysticEyes, certainly not looking for problems. I have enough of those. Only looking for answers.

Well that's my point. I see too many posts where folks have a well functioning machine yet feel the need to to 'fix' things that don't need fixing, the most common being Registry Cleaners and using 3rd party Defraggers to defrag every day.

MysticEyes said:
Well that's my point. I see too many posts where folks have a well functioning machine yet feel the need to to 'fix' things that don't need fixing, the most common being Registry Cleaners and using 3rd party Defraggers to defrag every day.
I agree, we need to have a registry cleaners sticky.......

Red Boy

Agree! Most people do attempt to "fix" things that don't need fixing. However, the sagacious try to find out what needs fixing and what doesn't. That, as I understand it, is, in part, the objective of the Tech Support Guy Forums -- i.e. to advise people accordingly. I don't think in my original post I implied that I fixed anything. Only enquired about WMP 10 and 11. Learned a long time ago not to "fix" what I knew nothing or little about. Since I don't know much, I don't fix much ... at least not without first communicating with those with more experience and expertise.

When/if your thread is solved, please mark your thread solved by selecting Mark Solved and clicking Perform Action in the Thread Tools at the top of your thread. ;)

Courtneyc said:
Actually, if you uninstall 11, you revert to 9. Version 10 is no longer available for download. If you attempt to download 10 from Microsoft's site, you get 11.
Actually, If you had v10 installed previously you revert to v10; and you can download WMP 10 from Microsoft (everything from 6.4 up).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts