1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Media Player crashes

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by klaatu, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klaatu

klaatu Thread Starter

Most of the time when I try to play a video with WMP 12, it crashes ("Windows Media Player has stopped working"). Nothing I've tried has worked, including:

• Run the msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerConfigurationDiagnostic troubleshooting wizard
    • Unselected WMP in Windows Features, rebooted, re-selected it, rebooted
    • Run SFC /SCANNOW (found no corrupt files)
    • Run the Fix WMP Utility from The Windows Club
    I'm at a dead end. There doesn't seem to be a pattern with the fails; they happen with some videos but not with others in the same video format. VLC media player has no trouble with any of them.
    Anyone have any suggestions for getting WMP working? I’m running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. klaatu

klaatu Thread Starter

Yes -- sorry; I neglected to mention that I'd tried that too. I ran it again, and again it didn't fix the problem, but afterward I noticed that it's just .avi files, and some .mp4 files, that were causing WMP to crash. I did another search and found a Microsoft Knowledge Base article on a recent Windows update (KB2670838) that causes this problem on some systems with ATI graphics cards.

That’s what I've got, and I've been having this problem since this update came out a month ago. So I uninstalled it per Microsoft's instructions and rebooted.

That fixed it. WMP properly plays all video filetypes now. Take heed, ATI card owners for whom WMP is crashing on .avi files.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1095429

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice