1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Media Player has grabbed all my music

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sanclu, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sanclu

Sanclu Thread Starter

Hi 'MY Music' had about 50 albums and mixed tracks.I had a problem with the computer, I cleaned it, and I found that my music folders had moved to WMP I thought I had lost them. I did a search and not one track is named on my two hard discs, but I found them on WMP There seems no way to get them back. OK I can play them but all the ones put together by me are now split up all over the place. Is there a way ?
    Thanks for any advice

2. dukevyner

dukevyner

eehhh windows media player is like a parasite... but where not here to talk about the program... first off..what do you mean by "cleaned it" because there's no reason that "cleaning it" will move or delete your music files... unless they were supposed to be quarantined... but that's not the case.. ok having a little trouble understanding you.. you can't find the files... but (this is the part I'm confused) if you open media player they are in your library... and most importantly they play?... ok well if i got that right..than fear not cause the files have to be somewhere as windows media player can play them... so they MUST be somewhere... the first thing that i can think of is perhaps the reason that you "cleaned" the computer (idk what the issue was) has made your files hidden... these files are normally not visible to you... i would set the computer to show hidden files and look where they used to be... if still not there do a search again but in search options click search hidden files IF YOU KNOW HOW TO SHOW HIDDEN FILES DO SO, EVERYTHING PAST THIS IS HOW TO

To show hidden files open my computer (or any other folder) and click "tools" than "folder options" if using Win 7 or Vista(you shouldn't be posting in the xp section...but i forgive you :)) you need to press the alt key with the window open to show "tools"
    after clicking "folder options" a new window will open, click the "view" tab then in the "Advanced settings box" find "hidden files and folders" and click the radial button(the circle to the left) of "Show hidden files and folders" finally click "Ok" your computer will no longer hide files from you and you can try to find them Note: Files that are marked as hidden will show up as a washed out or "dim" icon

3. Sanclu

Sanclu Thread Starter

I have XP SP 3 and I cleaned the fans that were thick with dust with a small brush and miniture hoover.
    Pressed down on the wires of the speaker connections to get back a channel that I no longer had (Mono instead of Dual) But it now does. I have followed your instructions and my music is back in 'My Music'.
    I thank you greatly !

4. dukevyner

dukevyner

Not a problem us here at TSG love to help

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice