1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Media Player Streaming Video Error?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by InterKnight, Sep 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. InterKnight

InterKnight Thread Starter

Hello everyone.

I was working on my pastor's son's computer on Sunday afternoon and he mentioned to me that a Baptist College which his daughters attend streams live sermons over their Web site. He said, though, that for some reason he was unable to access these sermons. I installed the latest version of Windows Media Player, but still to no avail. I also tried to play the streaming video on my computer, but I encountered the same problem. I am attaching the error message dialog because I am sometimes not the best at explaining things.

The link to the sermons is (apparently) always available on the Web site. The only thing which I could deduce is that the streaming video would only work when the sermons take place, but that if the link is clicked on at another time other than the scheduled time that this error would occur.

Could this be a possibility?

Thanks everyone for any help or advice.

Take care.

Attached Files:

2. InterKnight

Sorry everyone. I should have given a little more information on the systems, both mine and the pastor's son's.

Both systems are Windows XP based, mine is XP Pro and the other is XP Home. Both use Windows Media Player 10 series. Both systems are running on broadband connections; both processors are Intel Pentium 4, mine is 2.8GHz and the other is 1.6GHz.

Sorry about not stating this earlier.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't know whether it will help but the error message is covered in the article below under:

800C000D: The specified protocol is not supported

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/9series/playererrors.aspx

Can you provide a link to the url which is giving the problem? I don't have broadband to really test it, but the issue here is whether the url begins with

mms://

and what the file type extension is at the end. It may not be a Windows Media supported file type -- for example something propietary to Real Player.

4. InterKnight

Thanks for the response.

This is the link for the site with the different ways of viewing/listening to the sermons

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well so far I've managed to load this link in Windows Media Player 9 without error:

http://www.faithforthefamily.com/fftflive150kv.asx

It's played about 5 minutes of music with a "Welcome" screen from the church.

Ok, at 6 minutes 30 seconds the lecture has begun.

In Windows Media Player File > Properties, the Video Codec is described as Windows Media Player 9.

>> In Windows Media Player > Tools > Options > Network, are all protocols checked? Are you by any chance using a proxy server in Internet Explorer?

>> If you enter this url directly in the Internet Explorer Address bar, does it open Windows Media Player, connect and begin:

mms://65.254.51.250/TBCLive150k

I don't know why Windows Media Player 10 would be incompatible for this video stream, but I don't have it to test -- since my only experience with it found it ran into compatibility problems with my DVD player.

6. InterKnight

Thanks again for responding.

This is quite odd, but it is working now. It would not work earlier this morning, but the lecture is working now. I started the file at about 9:46a.m. My time (Eastern), and I got the welcome screen and the music. Everything is working now. Strange...Do you think it could just be that it only plays during the times of the sermons, and at other times the link just leads to nothing?

I really appreciate your help.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Probably, or the server may have been down at the time. Usually with sites like that the file is stored and available for subsequent plays -- but this may be live only particularly as the link is described as "live"

8. InterKnight

In any case, I'm glad it's working. I am guessing that's what it is: that link is just a "dummy link" that will lead to an actual file when it's live as the site says. That's my guess.

I'm going to mark this as solved. Thanks much for your help.

9. InterKnight

I just wanted to reiterate on this:

The lecture is over now (has been for about five minutes or so), and I receive the error message when trying to access it. It does appear that it will only stream when it is live, so this is the message that will probably be received in other situations similar to this one.

Take care and thanks again.

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/396849

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice