1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Windows Media Player wont play some tracks

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ecarter, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ecarter

ecarter Thread Starter

Windows 98SE
    Windows Media Player 9
    Hi everybody. I have been messing around with the settings in WMP and now when I pick tracks from All Music in the "Now Playing" mode some of the tracks turn red and will not play. About 50% of the tracks are affected. Can anyone tell me how to put this right? Thanx Ted.

2. RSM123

RSM123

ecarter,

I too had the same problem - it was the Beta Version of WMP9. In my case it was because WMP kept trying to access the internet and I blocked it with my Firewall. Sure enough each time the tracklist turned red and refused to play. It happened every time. Are you using the Beta or the Final Release ?

I believe its a consequence of the new Digital Rights Management project that MS conceived to try and stem use of pirated music.

Each WMP has a 'Unique Identifier Number' - Uncle Bill needs it to 'help maximize your internet experience'. :-(

While waiting for more replies you might care to check out this site as there are steps on troubleshooting / tweaking WMP.

http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html#assoc

See menu on left - particularly 'DRM'.

Not sure this is the cause of your problem so of course keep posting back.

3. ecarter

ecarter Thread Starter

Solved!! Thank You RSM123 for your reply. I tried the link you gave me but the info I needed was not there [I have added the site to my favourites for future reference] I solved the prob by going to Media Library/File/Add to Media Library/By searching computer/Search on all drives. This added all the files to my playlist/library but also added a stack of Windows sounds which I had to delete one at a time. At least I am back to normal. Once again thank you for your reply. Ted.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164050

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice