1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Media Player

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by soslow24, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. soslow24

soslow24 Thread Starter

I listen to a weekly streaming audio program from a college radio station. Theoretically I have the option to listen on I-tunes, or Winamp orWindows Media Player. When I click on Winamp or I-tunes, I don't get them, but Windows Media Player comes up. And while I'm listening , it often conks out. What to do? I want to be sure I can hear this program, but I don't want to hear it with Windows Media Player. I have Vista.
    soslow24

2. stantley

stantley

What's the web site link?

3. soslow24

soslow24 Thread Starter

What do you mean?

4. stantley

stantley

5. soslow24

soslow24 Thread Starter

The web site of the internet radio program I listen to is WRUC 89.7 FM Radio Union College. But it is Microsoft Media Player that is troubling me.

6. stantley

stantley

I wanted to know the site so I could test it out. I had problems with WMP getting it to play, then it worked for a little, then it stopped. When I first tried with Winamp it didn't work, but now it seems to be working. The same thing happened with Quintessential Media Player and Musicmatch. It's very inconsistent.

The problem is probably the site, I would contact them to see if others are experiencing the same problem. You might have better luck if you download the m3u file, right-click > Open with and choose the media player. If you have a dial-up connection instead of broadband that could compound the problem.

7. soslow24

soslow24 Thread Starter

I checked with others who listen to the same station, and they cannot get it now either. Thank you for letting me know the situation. I have called the station manager to report the problem.
    soslow24

8. Ridehard

Ridehard

This question is for Stanley. I am new to this site and wanted to PM you but cant. You seem to have quite a few posts so maybe you have the answer Im looking for. I just had my home PC serviced,cleaned up(supposedly) the repair guy said he found some malware in it. It was very slow before,but months ago it worked ok. When I wanted to look some videos emails that were funnies or whatever it wouldnt download them. I used IE from the beginning and my wife sugessted firefox to see if that helped. It didnt. IE wont do anything..click on the download..nothing,back to message. Firefox will download 97-98% then thats it...no more. So I either delete it or wait till I can use my laptop,which works fine in IE.
    Thanks,Ridehard

9. stantley

stantley

To Ridehard:

Since you had some malware on your system let's make sure that it's all gone. In the instructions it says post back to this thread, but instead post back to the other thread that you started:

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/906233-windows-media-player.html

Go to this site http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/threat_analytics/hijackthis.php?page=download.

Click on 'Download HijackThis Installer' for Version 2.0.2.

*Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop, or to the location where you normally download.
    *Double-click on HJTInstall.exe.
    *Click on Install.
    *By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis.
    *Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
    *Click on the 'Do a system scan and save a logfile button'. It will scan and the log will open in Notepad.
    *In Notepad go to Format and make sure 'Word Wrap' is not checked.
    *Click on 'Edit > Select All' then click on 'Edit > Copy' (or Ctrl-C) to copy the entire contents of the log.
    *Come back to this thread and Paste (or Ctrl-V) the log in your next reply.

*DO NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/905460

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice