1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved (Solved) windows messenger .net

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by smile88, Jan 21, 2003.

Unmark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smile88

smile88 Guest Thread Starter

About 6 months ago I added the Windows Messenger .net to my XP system. I don't know the password and can not reset it. When ever I'm on my computer the damn thing is on. I would like to get rid of it. Or at least so that when it does not automatically start every time I’m using my computer..
    Does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of this controlling and annoying feature? It sits in my system tray and asks if I want updates. No, I just want it to go away.
    Thanks for any info.
    This is my first post here, so please tell me if I’m not following proper board etiquette.

2. Miz

Miz

How to disable Windows Instant Messenger on Windows XP:

1. Go to Start: Programs: Windows Messenger. A Windows Messenger window will pop up.
    2. Click the Tools tab, and select Options. Another window will pop up.
    3. Click the Preferences tab, and make sure the following two boxes are unchecked:
    Run this program when Windows starts
    Allow this program to run in the background

4. Click OK, then the File: Close tab in the Windows Messenger window.
    5. Doublecheck that you do not have a little icon in the bottom right hand side of your screen that looks like two little people's heads. If you do, right-click on it and select Close.

3. smile88

Miz - I followed your instructions, which are very good. The 2 boxes you mentioned were unchecked. I see now that the Messenger only comes to the system tray when Outlook Express is up, which is all the time, as it's my main e-mail. Do you know of any way to get rid of it from Outlook Express? I went into it and removed all checks from all optons under tools - windows messenger - options - perferences, but the the 2 figures are still in the tray whenever outlook express is on. Is this a feature you have to put up with when you use outlook express?

Outlook only allows for 1 account or it has problems (I worked this out with a Microsoft tech support guy). So I switched to outlook express.

Perhaps there are better email tools to use, if office express needs to keep windows messenger with it.....

Thanks for any additional comments.

4. Top Banana

Top Banana

Outlook Express>Tools>Options>General>Automatically log on to Windows Messenger

5. smile88

Top Banana - YES! That worked! Now I need to explore what other options are in there. THANK YOU for helping me get rid of that aggravating messenger!

6. Top Banana

Top Banana

No problem.;)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114511

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice