1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Movie Maker DVD

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by peck1234, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. peck1234

peck1234 Thread Starter

Created a DVD of a 350mb file with windows movie maker...

Odd thing is once I put it on dvd the 350mb file grew to 3 gigs! how!

2. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Usually what happens is that when you go to burn the DVD, the movie is re-rendered into a format compatible with DVD players.

Usually one starts with an mpg or wmv file - what you probably created was a simple movie, in a single-file format like .mpg, but if you look at the contents of a DVD, it has more than just that one.

Hope this helps.

MBN

3. peck1234

peck1234 Thread Starter

hmm.. yes, there is more than one, is there any way to have just the small file on the dvd? : )

THanks....

4. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Not that I know of.... DVDs need to have a certain format, and what you have is it.

Now if there's a way to further compress, I'm sure there must be someone out there who knows a heck of a lot more than I do and may pipe in.

MBN

5. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

If you have the option to set the bitrate you want to use, you can make the size smaller but DVDs are more dependent on length of the source video(s), not on size. The MPEG-2 codec is not as efficient at the quality/size ratio as other codecs are and you can put about 2 hours on a single layer DVD and not notice much degredation of the video. If you start cutting the bitrate down to the point where 4 hours will fit, your original 300MB file will be smaller than before but still larger than the original and it won't look as good on the DVD.

All that is just because the DVD (MPEG-2) format is less efficient than other codecs...but the advantage is that it will play on any DVD player.

6. peck1234

peck1234 Thread Starter

Hmm interesting thanks.. I was using a mpeg 1 format...

7. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

In the case of an mpeg1 video its not so much the efficiency of the codec as the dimensions--a standard mpeg1 is usually just 320x240 so expanding that to DVD dimensions (720x480) alone would occupy 4.5 times the space if everything else were held constant.

8. peck1234

peck1234 Thread Starter

ahhhh! I get it now! well said fairnooks....

Thanks a bunch...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759550

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice