1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows ?? my friend got the shaft- XP start can't finish-how do I start over?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xfile47, Feb 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

my friend bought a computer for 100.00 and when he got home he couldnt' get nothing but the start of Windows xp on it. (I know, he already feels pretty bad about not checking it out first) anyway

He wanted to no if I could help him so I told him I would trry. Here's whats going on
    It is a compaq computer and when I got it there was a disk in it that soimeone eveidently tried to burn windows xp pro on but didn't do it right. The computer comes on and says it is continueing setup then wants the xp disk, but when you put it in it says it is missing all the files and I don't think this guy had a product niumber or nothing, anyway my friend got screwed. Here's what I would like to do

How do I take off what is already on the computer the start of xp, like by using fdisk or somethning and then I am going to put windows 98 on the computer for him. If I can fdisk it to repartition and format then use my windows 98 cd-rom.

I guess I have to get to the BIOS somehow to get it to boot to the floppy drive so I can get fdisk up. if so how do I get to the BIOS cause youi turn on the computer and it goes through some stuff then goes to the setup again but cannot finish because of the problems I listed above. I want to no how to wipe it all off and start over to put the windows 98 on.

Can someone help??

2. Swiper

Swiper

When you first power up the computer you should be able to press the DEL key to enter CMOS / BIOS setup screen

If that fails, you can try pressing F1, or F2 or something like that.
    Compaq, HP, Gateways etc.... they have their own specific key you press to enter into the BIOS menu.
    I am not familiar with which one it is for Compaqs though

does it boot to Cdrom first perhaps ?
    you could always try creating a bootable cdrom with DOS utilities on it to Fdisk it, format it etc...

Nero has this ability and you may even be able to find one @ http://www.bootdisk.com

good luck

Swiper

3. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Yes it does boot to cd-rom first, so what do I need to put on the cd-rom just fdisk or is it just called dos utilities, ? don't want to sound dumb just want to get it right?

4. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

I made a dos disk through NERO like you said and it worked right away when I put it in. However I need some help, I am at the part where it says do number 1 create a partition, I do that and it says there is not enough room for another partition, if I try to delete 1 or 2 partitions it says cant do that in standard mode, where should I go from here, Can you please talk me through it, I would like to just delete whats there and make one partition

There must be to drives in the computer I haven't even had it open yet but in the fdisk it says
    partition on 1st hard disk 7845.2 MB

THE IT HAS

1--16670.3 NTFS OS/2 or NT
    2--2798.0 Fat16 (Secondary)

Can you tell me how to get it all in one partition so I can just load windows 98 on thats all I want. Can you walk me through it? Like I said I am at where it says

Select Options
    1 Create Partition
    2 Delete Partition
    3 Select bootable partition
    re-write master boot record

OR CAN ANYONE HELP I WOULD LOVE TO GET THIS GOING

5. Swiper

Swiper

You need to delete all the partitions
    FAT
    FAT32
    NON-DOS (NTFS)

After all partitions are deleted, then you can go ahead and create a partition
    Once partition is created (as one)
    then you should be prompted to reboot and from there, boot off cd again, and format the c:

and proceed to install your Operating system of choice

6. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

but everytime I try to delete the partitions it says it can't do it in standard mode, what is that about

7. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me how to get around the standard mode problem?

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Download the manufacturer's disk diagnostics and zero the disk, or just use KillDisk to do the job. Then you can partition and format it for W98 without an issue.

9. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

I have a disk of death, however, I need to get into the BIOS to set it to boot from the floppy to get it to work and I tried delete and F1 and didn't get in, I had fdisk up on it for a cd and at the A prompt, can I then put in the disk of death and type a command to start it? if so what command do I type at the A prompt? I tried setup, start and they won't get it going, How can I get it to work and then that would be great,

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

On a Compaq try F10 to access BIOS.

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

JohnWill gave you some GOOD advice. Compaq machines are not user friendly for upgrading, downgrading or anything else except reinstalling the original operating system.:rolleyes: You MAY have an have a problem installing Win98 on this machine since the motherboard drivers are probably included in the reinstallation/recovery disk(s).

I suggest that you get the make and model of the machine and give HP Parts a call at
    1-800-474-6836 and see if you can purchase the original reinstallation/recovery disks to return the machine to original configuration. :)

12. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

I downloaded the killdisk and copied the image onto a cd-rom throught nero like ti said. I then put it in the computer and turned it on, I didn't think it did much but it must of cause nothing only the compaq name came up. I then put in the windows 98 cd-rom operating system disk and it didn't do anything so I put in the windows 98 startup floppy I had and left the cd rom in to. then started the computer and it went throught some stuff and talked about setup boot with cd-rom etc. It ended at the A prompt so I typed in setup and it took off and I thought eveything was cool. However,it went to setuip bout first wanted to check the drives C and D so it was at scandisk and I let it go all the way through. It said D drive was ok but it found one thing wrong with the Cdrive and won't do setup until it is fixed, this is the error it found

The logical Block address setting for this computer may be incorrect

It sounds like if I can get that fixed it will start going through the whole setup.

Does anyone know what that is or means? and if so can I do somethng to fix it? Please let me know. Everything else you have said has worked so far.

I wanted to add this, when I get the above error if I go to exit and click enter it goes to setup like it is going to do it, the windows 98 setup screen comes on where it says it is going to start and take so much time etc. then an error comes up and it says this

Setup Detection message

Message SU0013

SETUP CANNOT CREATE FILES ON YOUR STARTUP DRIVE AND CANNOT SETUP WINDOWS 98.
    If you have HPFS or NTFS you must create an MS DOS boot partition if you have LANtastic Server or Superstor comptression, disable it before running setup. see setup.txt on setup disk 1 or the windows 98 compact disc.

Does this mean I need to run fdisk or the kill disk didn';t do it? but the killdisk had to do something cause the windows xp crap that was on there is no longer there and before the windows 98 disk would not work and it got this far, so I am thinking fdisk or like it says ms dos boot partition BUT please help I don't know what to do next but you have been right all the way so don't quit now, I will wait for an answer, Thanks

13. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Good news, I got thinking about what I type above and what the message was saying and I had MS DOS on 3 floppy disks so I said the heck with it. I put ms dos on the computer (after I had use the killdisk that was reccomended) and then did the setup on windows 98 and everything turned out perfiect. The operating system is on, So that is what it needed was dos to be put on. So I want to thank everyone for their help. I will mark this thread solved and again, Thanks

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/440844

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice