1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows OEM

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Mermaid, May 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mermaid

Mermaid Thread Starter

Could someone please help me . I have some questions on reinstalling Win 7 Pro (v 7601).
    I have Win 7 Pro installed (came installed with computer-OEM)
    Murphy's Law tells me things will go wrong, sooner or later.
    I have no reliable back-up, and Restore doesn't always work.

What I would like to know, is ,

(1) am I able to do a clean install if I had a ( begged , borrowed ) Retail full version of Win 7 Pro AND use my licence key that is on the sticker on the computer desktop.?
    (2) how would I go about installing all the drivers that I need (again no reliable backup). Would I first have to download them all from the Dell site and or where I could find them?

Any and all information would be gratefully received, I know this would have been asked many times before, but being new to Win 7 ( my Acer XP died , hard to get over that) I'm starting again with the Win 7. with thanks, Mermaid.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2

Dell Precision T3500
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU W3503 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 6141 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro 2000, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 238373 MB, Free - 178735 MB; G: Total - 120801 MB, Free - 91447 MB; H: Total - 139501 MB, Free - 131654 MB; I: Total - 216634 MB, Free - 164891 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 09KPNV
    Antivirus: ZoneAlarm Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Starting with the easiest to answer ... while you are still running Windows 7 download the current drivers from Dell's web site (don't use their special downloader). It's best to do this now, while you can double check in Device Manager what drivers you are using). Save the drivers at least to a different partition on the hard drive, but preferably to external media (CD, DVD, USB flash drive, etc.). Since Dell uses random looking names I like to immediately rename each file to something meaningful (chipset, ethernet, wireless, display, etc.).

If this was a new purchase you should be able to create a set of Recovery DVDs (or a Recovery USB flash drive). Look for some documentation that came with the PC (paper or on the system). With Recovery DVDs you can "recover" the system to the way it came from the factory--essentially a new install along with the drivers and Dell supplied utilities and bloatware. Often the word "Restore" is used instead of "Recovery."

Even if you bought used try the above, as maybe the original owner neglected to do so.

You may be able to buy a set of Recovery DVDs (or USB flash drive) from Dell.

And, finally, I think that your Product Key from the COA sticker will work with a Retail installation disk, but I'm not 100% confident of that.

3. Mermaid

Mermaid Thread Starter

Thank you TerryNet for your answers.

The Dell Precision T3500 was bought used from a reputable Computer business and as I said, came with Win 7 Pro installed. I've had it for 5 weeks and a number of things have messed up Windows . Mainly me.

I have the option of having a reinstall by the business I bought it from -( they will reinstall Windows free). So I get a fresh Windows and from that I can do a backup, and have all the drivers installed. It seems the easiest option for me, I'm not familiar with ISO, and I know Microsoft stopped ISO downloads for OEM installs.
    After a fresh install of Windows, I will backup and backup and backup new programs I install, but I will have the option of using the original first backup as a new install of Windows. I think I have the figured out right?
    Many thanks, but please advise if I'm wrong in my approach.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Brigette:

What's the "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on your Dell Precision T3500 desktop?

That will allow you to access the Dell support and driver downloads site that's assigned only to your desktop.

It's my guess it has these primary devices (which can be confirmed in the Device Manager):

Intel X58+ICH10 chipset

NVIDIA NVS 295/300/420 or Quadro FX 3800/4800/580 graphics

Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated HD audio (SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD audio)

Broadcom 57xx Integrated Gigabit Ethernet

--------------------------------------------------------------

I was fortunate that all of my refurbished Dell desktops came with a Windows 7 SP1 32-bit/64-bit reinstallation disc (which I prefer anyway instead of a built-in recovery partition).

I obtained and burned the drivers for each one on separate CD-R's.

The programs that I installed in each one are also burned on CD-R's.

Each one has its own notebook with pockets.

Whenever I need to do a reinstall for some reason, I have everything I need.

--------------------------------------------------------------

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That, in my opinion, is a good choice. It is what I have been doing for a few years now. To be more specific, I make an image backup (to an external hard drive) of the system early in its life and save that image "forever" in case I ever want to go back to the beginning. Then each month I make a new image backup, keeping the last two or three images. The plan, which I have successfully executed several times, is to re-image to a recent (preferably the most recent) backup if anything goes wrong (hard drive problem, malware, a big mistake by me, etc.). I use Macrium Reflect Free. Another free program recommended by members here is Easeus Todo Backup.

6. Mermaid

Mermaid Thread Starter

Thank you flavallee for your answers, Service Tag is identified with the Dell site and most of the drivers are there.
    I am unable to spend much time at the computer (my husband is an invalid and requires full time care) so I need to get things done quickly.
    Here in Australia , a refurbished computer, any brand, does not come with any reinstallation discs or a recovery partition and Dell will only supply reinstall discs to USA or Canada.

So , taking the quickest and easiest way out, I will get the Company I bought it from to do a reinstall ( for free) and then do a backup of the new install and keep that as a "forever" fresh windows , I won't have to worry about correct drivers then.
    After that I will back up everything separately and if I mess things up again at least I will have the options for new windows install or a full working backup.
    At the moment,
    Restore is not working,
    Computer built in backup won't work, tells me files are missing.
    Task Scheduler isn't working
    I only have an Acronis backup to an external hard drive from a week ago, and I know all those problems were in that backup.
    sfc \scannow hasn't helped.
    Thank you for your time, regards,
    Brigitte

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    That's a bummer. :(

See if the company is willing to give you or charge you a small fee for a copy of the Windows 7 disc so you'll have it if you need it in the future.

--------------------------------------------------------

I don't do backup images or use external hard drives, so I'll stay out of that part of the discussion.

--------------------------------------------------------

8. Mermaid

Mermaid Thread Starter

TerryNet,
    The new install image "forever" backed up to external hard drive is the way I will go . Then back up each month as suggested. I happen to make big mistakes messing about and am forever experimenting, which produced this mess up for me. Lesson learned.
    I have Acronis and have used that successfully on XP .
    Many thanks, for your time in answering. Regards,
    Brigitte

9. Mermaid

Mermaid Thread Starter

(See if the company is willing to give you or charge you a small fee for a copy of the Windows 7 disc so you'll have it if you need it in the future. )

That's a big ask------we are so far behind here in customer service, But that is what I intended to ask, I can't see why they would refuse.
    Thank you again.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome, and good luck. :) (y)

----------------------------------------------------------

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) Acronis is a highly regarded program.

12. stantley

stantley

See if there's a program on your PC called "Dell Backup and Recovery".

If you do you can use it to make a Factory Backup that you can put on DVD's or a USB flash drive.

13. Mermaid

Mermaid Thread Starter

stantley,
    No such luck, no Recovery options at all, except the built in "Back up Your Computer" which refuses to work and tells me that files are missing. Thank you for your reply,
    Regards,
    Brigitte

14. Mermaid

Mermaid Thread Starter

Thank you all for the support and advice. New Win 7 Pro reinstalled by company Desktop was bought from AND a genuine copy of Windows on CD . Another hard-drive added for back-ups, and all is rosy in my little computer world again.
    Thanks to all who advised,
    Regards,
    Mermaid.:)
    and we can consider this thread solved.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148731

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice