1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Performance Index reduced?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by js73, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. js73

js73 Thread Starter

My laptop had a windows performance rating of 3.0 Today it is 2.6 (gaming graphics). How did it happen? The laptop is two months old. Many thanks.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

When was the last time you updated the index?

It's possible you were doing something concurrent with the test that could interfere -- so try it again and make sure all other programs are stopped.

Have you changed your power setttings on the laptop?

3. js73

js73 Thread Starter

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Are you sure you posted the right link? That has nothing to do with your performance rating but only networking protocols.

On a Vista laptop the power settings do have an option for throttling the CPU Processor performance. That's what I was thinking of.

5. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I'm with you Rog, if that led to the restoration of the graphics rating, Vista done got some problems!

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

The rating is really pretty handy for assessing games and whether your machine will play them. I've always been happy with the score on my Ebay parts created machine, but I still wish it were higher (Don't we all?). I don't know what the highest score is, though.

Attached Files:

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Lol, beats my 3.4 :)

By the way if you navigate to c:\windows\performance\winsat you can open the .xml logs for an individual view -- best opened in Word. You can see what changed from log to log. If it's graphics in this case -- then something else is at work.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Or an XML editor. You could even change it if you wanted, to 9.9 or 8.9, but who would do such a thing?;)

9. jonmcc33

jonmcc33 Banned

Highest score at this time is a 5.9. This was all based upon the best system that was out at the release of Vista RTM.

10. js73

js73 Thread Starter

When I reset the tcp/ip, I got the indication in the computer/properties that the hardware has changed and to refresh the settings (I had not changed any hardware). That is when I saw the index changing to 3.0 from 2.6. I am not much of a gamer; it is limited to some web based games requiring very little graphics.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try clicking the "View and Print Details" link. Look through the list and see if it is all accurate (and if you saw it before, if anything changed).

12. js73

js73 Thread Starter

Where should I look for the View and print details?

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

Click the link next to your system rating and the link is on the bottom of the next page.

14. js73

js73 Thread Starter

I do not see anything which is different from the specifications of the laptop. Unfortunately, I did not see this page when the rating was 2.6, so can not compare the two.

15. js73

js73 Thread Starter

When I look at the xml files (Rolling Rog's post # 7) for two different dates, I have the following:

Current (23 Feb)

WinSPR>
    <SystemScore>3</SystemScore>
    <MemoryScore>5.5</MemoryScore>
    <CpuScore>4.7</CpuScore>
    <CPUSubAggScore>4.6</CPUSubAggScore>
    <VideoEncodeScore>4.9</VideoEncodeScore>
    <GraphicsScore>3.3</GraphicsScore>
    <GamingScore>3</GamingScore>
    <DiskScore>4.8</DiskScore>
    </WinSPR>

For the earlier date,

<WinSPR>
    <SystemScore>2.6</SystemScore>
    <MemoryScore>5.5</MemoryScore>
    <CpuScore>4.7</CpuScore>
    <CPUSubAggScore>4.6</CPUSubAggScore>
    <VideoEncodeScore>4.9</VideoEncodeScore>
    <GraphicsScore>3.2</GraphicsScore>
    <GamingScore>2.6</GamingScore>
    <DiskScore>4.8</DiskScore>

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/685951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice