Solved: Windows Photo Viewer won't print

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kirkmiller

I can print files / documents from all other applications (Word, Excel, WordPerfect, etc.), but not from Windows Photo Viewer. I use Windows Photo Viewer to open a JPG file, select Print from the menu bar, and click the Print button; a "getting ready to print" message is displayed for a split-second, but nothing is sent to my printer. Windows Photo Viewer never has worked since I got this computer a few months ago. It works fine on my old computer (Windows XP) with the same printer.
Windows 7, PowerSpec desktop PC (from Micro Center); Samsung ML-2955DW printer

kirkmiller

Yes, CTRL+P brings up the same screen that Print brings up. In fact, the Print screen lists CTRL+P as the same as selecting Print.

plodr

Liz
Open Devices and Printers. Make sure the Samsung is set as the default and then click See What's Printing up near the menu.
Anything stuck in the printer queue?

kirkmiller

Yes, the Samsung printer is the default printer. No, nothing is in the print queue.

texasbullet

Ramon
check with the samsung website. Maybe there may be some updates for your printer.

texasbullet

Ramon
You may also want to download the drivers for your printer from samsung if not done so and use that installation download instead of using your disc.

Have you tried on changing the compatability mode for your printer program to XP.

kirkmiller

I re-installed the printer and downloaded everything from Samsung's website instead of using the CD that came with the printer. What puzzles me is that the printer works with all other applications -- Microsoft Word, Excel, WordPerfect, screen prints, Print To PDF (Firefox add-on), etc. It just doesn't work with Windows Photo Viewer. When I try to print something from Windows Photo Viewer, it doesn't put anything in the printer's print queue.

plodr

Liz
Do you get a dialog box like this after you select print?
If not, perhaps Windows Photoviewer is damaged.

Attachments

plodr

Liz
Good thread find texasbullet. Amazing how this glitch has been around since 2010!
For some reason mine works. Of course, I tested it on a 32 bit version of Win 7. I'll have to see if my 64 bit version works or misbehaves.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No problem on my 64 bit Win 7 sent to a networked printer.

Normally I open pictures in IrfanView portable and print through there so that's why I was unaware that there was a problem with Windows Photo Viewer and printing.

kirkmiller

Thanks, everybody, for your suggestions. I've been out of town, so now I'll reply to the suggestions that you made while I was gone.

Donetao: I already did several Google searches before I posted the problem in this forum. I read and tried every suggestion that is pertinent to my problem, but without success.

Plodr: Yes, I get the dialog box similar to the one that you attached. I click the Print button and nothing happens. Nothing is put in the print queue.

Texasbullet: This is one of the items that I found in my earlier Google searches. The suggestions didn't solve my problem.

To recap the problem: I open a .JPG file in Windows 7 Photo Viewer, and the picture is displayed. I choose Print at the top of screen, and choose Print again form the drop-down menu. A new window opens. I click the Print button and nothing happens. Nothing is put in the print queue.

Any other suggestions? (besides re-installing Windows 7)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online