1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Photo Viewer won't print

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by kirkmiller, May 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kirkmiller

kirkmiller Thread Starter

I can print files / documents from all other applications (Word, Excel, WordPerfect, etc.), but not from Windows Photo Viewer. I use Windows Photo Viewer to open a JPG file, select Print from the menu bar, and click the Print button; a "getting ready to print" message is displayed for a split-second, but nothing is sent to my printer. Windows Photo Viewer never has worked since I got this computer a few months ago. It works fine on my old computer (Windows XP) with the same printer.
    Windows 7, PowerSpec desktop PC (from Micro Center); Samsung ML-2955DW printer

2. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Have you tried using Crtl+P

3. kirkmiller

Yes, CTRL+P brings up the same screen that Print brings up. In fact, the Print screen lists CTRL+P as the same as selecting Print.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Open Devices and Printers. Make sure the Samsung is set as the default and then click See What's Printing up near the menu.
    Anything stuck in the printer queue?

5. kirkmiller

Yes, the Samsung printer is the default printer. No, nothing is in the print queue.

6. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    check with the samsung website. Maybe there may be some updates for your printer.

7. kirkmiller

I checked. Everything is up to date on my printer.

8. donetao

donetao Banned

9. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    You may also want to download the drivers for your printer from samsung if not done so and use that installation download instead of using your disc.

Have you tried on changing the compatability mode for your printer program to XP.

10. kirkmiller

I re-installed the printer and downloaded everything from Samsung's website instead of using the CD that came with the printer. What puzzles me is that the printer works with all other applications -- Microsoft Word, Excel, WordPerfect, screen prints, Print To PDF (Firefox add-on), etc. It just doesn't work with Windows Photo Viewer. When I try to print something from Windows Photo Viewer, it doesn't put anything in the printer's print queue.

11. donetao

donetao Banned

12. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Do you get a dialog box like this after you select print?
    If not, perhaps Windows Photoviewer is damaged.

Attached Files:

13. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
  14. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Good thread find texasbullet. Amazing how this glitch has been around since 2010!
    For some reason mine works. Of course, I tested it on a 32 bit version of Win 7. I'll have to see if my 64 bit version works or misbehaves.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    No problem on my 64 bit Win 7 sent to a networked printer.

Normally I open pictures in IrfanView portable and print through there so that's why I was unaware that there was a problem with Windows Photo Viewer and printing.

15. kirkmiller

Thanks, everybody, for your suggestions. I've been out of town, so now I'll reply to the suggestions that you made while I was gone.

Donetao: I already did several Google searches before I posted the problem in this forum. I read and tried every suggestion that is pertinent to my problem, but without success.

Plodr: Yes, I get the dialog box similar to the one that you attached. I click the Print button and nothing happens. Nothing is put in the print queue.

Texasbullet: This is one of the items that I found in my earlier Google searches. The suggestions didn't solve my problem.

To recap the problem: I open a .JPG file in Windows 7 Photo Viewer, and the picture is displayed. I choose Print at the top of screen, and choose Print again form the drop-down menu. A new window opens. I click the Print button and nothing happens. Nothing is put in the print queue.

Any other suggestions? (besides re-installing Windows 7)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147794

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice