Solved: Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

needafix

In light of the recent .wmf exploit this string:

regsvr32 -u %windir%\system32\shimgvw.dll

was used to unregister the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

Is there a way to undo that so the program will function again?

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It's been so long since I've seen WIFV - I can't remember what all it can't do - or how to fix it.
Your best option is - Replace Windows Image n Fax Viewer with the freeware Irfanview... you won't be sorry.
http://www.irfanview.com/

Try this:
Start> Run> type: regsvr32 shimgvw.dll then OK.
(note: space between 32 and sh)

kidcnote

Banned
Augie65 said:
Try this:
I did that "fix" yesterday and sure enough, there went my thumbnails, so I reverse it and theye we're back..:rolleyes:

You might want to be wary of running an "exe" from an "untrusted" site. And I don't know about that one.

You can reregister the dll as suggested.

needafix

I did the irfanview thing. Not to bad but I can view the thumbnails anymore so all I see is that red devil looking icon every where a thumbnail used to be. I went through the programs properties and I don't see any thumbnail settings.

Perhaps, but I wonder why they need to make an exe to do something that only a single command line will accomplish.

There was a registry edit originally offered that puported a better resolution, but that has been withdrawn as ineffective against the exploit.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1906211,00.asp

Editor's Note: This story has been modified to remove a registry modification which had been reported effective against the vulnerability. Subsequent testing shows that it is not effective against the vulnerability.

Ok I give up Rollin' Rog :D , you know much more than me

Happy new year all

needafix

Augie65 said:
Try this:
Great. This shuts off the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer:

regsvr32 -u %windir%\system32\shimgvw.dll

and this puts it back:

regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

Though I am turning it back off I have the on switch if I need it.

Thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online