1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Picture Viewer wont work suddenly

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by asuss06, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. asuss06

asuss06 Thread Starter

for years, when i'd click on a jpeg, it would come up on my windows picture and fax viewer. Its set that way in my default settings. suddenly today, nothing will come up on window picture viewer. even if i right click the jpeg and secect it in the "open with" option, nothing happens. its like windows picture and fax viewer is no longer there. jpegs will come up in any other format (internet explorer, paint, etc) but not my default windows picture viewer.
    i havent uninstalled anything on my comp in months, so i dont know what it could be.
    how do i fix this?

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Press the Windows key + R to open a Run box.

Type regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

Click OK.

3. asuss06

asuss06 Thread Starter

ok. ill give that a try when i get home and in front of the problem laptop & see how it goes.
    thanks

4. asuss06

asuss06 Thread Starter

i typed it in exactly as you posted it, but received a massage saying,
    "the module shimgvw.dll was loaded but the entry-point DII Registry Server was not found. Make sure that shimgvw.dll is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again."
    now what should i do?

5. Phantom010

Just occured to me, in Windows Vista, Windows Picture and Fax Viewer has been replaced by Windows Photo Gallery.

6. asuss06

asuss06 Thread Starter

I have Windows Photo gallery in my choice of what to open an image with, but it too will completely not respond either. before i go and try one of the other options you offered to me in that link, is there a way to see if Windows Photo Gallery can get up n running?

7. Phantom010

If the pictures you are trying to open are on your desktop, copy all of the Internet shortcuts on your desktop to a new folder created on your desktop. Call it "Test" (or anything else).

Now try double-clicking on a JPEG image (assuming Windows Photo Gallery
    is still your default application).

Then, one by one, copy the shortcuts back to the desktop, double-
    clicking the JPEG file each time to see when this happens again. When you
    find the offending shortcut, copy it's URL and delete the file. Then, try double- clicking the file again.

================================================================

If the pictures are inside a folder anywhere on your hard drive, and none are from URLs, try the same procedure. One of them might be too large. I know it's weird but I've seen this happen before.

8. asuss06

asuss06 Thread Starter

i tried what you told me and nothing happened at all. maybe i didnt do it right. who knows. why its gone, ill never know, but it seems like it doesnt want to be used anymore so i downloaded IrfanView which is quick n convenient to use just like Picture viewer.
    so ill mark this as solved for now until IrfanView decides not to work as well.
    thanks anyway for helping!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/959863