1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Product Activation Issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by thoyler, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thoyler

thoyler Thread Starter

Hi All:

I am have a problem with the Produce Activation on a Windows XP OS.

I replaced the Motherboard, Processor, and memory.

The HDD was inaccessible, so I Imaged the drive, cleaned it, then reloaded the OS (Repair).

On reboot the OS popped up with a window:
    (Window Reads:
    WINDOWS PRODUCT ACTIVATION

"This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate now?").

So I clicked Yes; there was a lot of activity on the connection for about 4 minutes, but it never seems to finish.

Every time I reboot it does the same thing, so I reloaded again (thought something might not have loaded correctly). No Change.

After a few minutesI get another pop up window:
    (Windows reads:
    Microsoft Feeds Synchronization

Microsoft Feeds Synchronization has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost
    ).

I have used an Ubuntu Live CD (works OK). I also temporarily loaded another XP OS to see if it would work ((worked OK) Imaged drive before anything else, then replaced the image and did the OS repair).

Any Ideas? Please Help.:confused:

The hardware seems to be working very well:

Motherboard Bio-star MCP6P-M2 NEW
    CPU AMD Athlon II X2 250 NEW
    Memory Patriot PSD22G5002 (PC 6400) NEW
    HDD Seagate 40G PATA
    CD R/W Sony ? (works OK)
    FDD ?? (works OK)

Thanks in advance:):):)
    thoyler

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

You need the telephone option to assure MS that you're only using this copy of XP once and the reason for the reinstallation was a major hardware change. So long as you have the Certificate of Authenticity on the side of the case and that matches the Product Identification (PID) that the Activation Wizard generates, you should be OK but they can tell if the two don't match.

I don't know which country you're in but the UK number is 0800 -018 8354 if that helps, and you get to listen to the delightful Diana Muldaur giving instructions. Once you key in the details, you should get he option to speak with an adviser ath e Call Centre in India.

3. thoyler

thoyler Thread Starter

Hello: Saga Lout

The OS does not give me a telephone option; it just stops.

I am working on this computer for a friend(for free), but I do have all of the material you mentioned; never had to call them before??

I am in the US; do you know that one?

Thank you very much!
    thoyler

4. thoyler

thoyler Thread Starter

Hi All:

Microsoft Doesn't Make this Easy.:(

I am trying to find a telephone number to call for activation. Their site seems unclear, or do we have to pay them to reactivate?:rolleyes:

Anyone know a US number for reactivation?:confused:

Thanks in advance.:):):)

thoyler

5. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I don't know the number, I'm afraid but someone will. If you don't hear from someone in the know today, I'll post the method to force an Activation Wizard this evening - GMT.

6. thoyler

thoyler Thread Starter

Hello: Saga Lout

Thank you for your help! I forgot to mention the XP OS never reaches the Desktop, It just displays their Background picture (my Friend) with no Icons, or Task bar and Start Menu.:eek:

I'm not sure what you call it, but his SW was NOT GENUINE and he purchased this disk ( Genuine Advantage Kit) from Microsoft just over two years ago. I have never seen this kind of situation before..:eek::eek: And I didn't Know.:(

Thanks again for all your help; I'll be looking forward to a post on this.:)

thoyler

7. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I've bought two or three of those on behalf of customers and each has been followed up in the post with a genuine CD complete with CoA. It seems to me you're only having this problem through reinstalling on to a different hardware platform, so speaking with them shouldn't be a problem. If, however, they later find two systems using the same PID turn on the Net simultaneously, they can and will unceremoniously dump both of them out. That Desktop should show the route to the Activation Wizard - has the thirty days elapsed? There won't be a charge on Activation.

8. thoyler

thoyler Thread Starter

Hi Saga Lout

I just got the computer last weekend, repaired the OS and booted for the first time yesterday (Mar. 05, 2010). It's been about 14 hours since the first boot after OS repair.

What does this mean?
    What happens to the rightful owner of the SW (Product Key, Certificate of Authenticity)?

thoyler:)

9. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

If you did a repair install of Windows, and the system previously had IE7 or IE8 installed, the Activation Wizard won't work, as you have some IE6 files that have been put back on the system by the Repair install of Windows. You need to uninstall IE7 or IE8 to revert back to IE 6. This will also cause the Microsoft Feeds Synchronization error.
    See this thread:
    "Microsoft Feeds Synchronization" error message prevents Windows XP activation

That should get the Activation Wizard working. If the online activation doesn't work, you be given the phone number per this article:

10. thoyler

thoyler Thread Starter

Hi TheOutcaste

That's good, I think that will fix the problem; can I do this operation through the command line, or some other way? I'm still having the problem with login.

""On reboot the OS popped up with a window:
    Window Reads:

"This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate now?"

So I clicked Yes; there was a lot of activity on the connection for about 4 minutes, but it never seems to finish.""

I can see the background picture, but the log-on never completes (ie: no desktop Icons, or Start button, etc.).

I get a similar window with Safe Mode. It reads something like:

This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. This cannot be done in Safe Mode. Do you want to reboot now?

thoyler

11. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

For some reason I was thinking you could log into Safe Mode.
    We will have to do this from the Recovery Console then.

EDIT: This procedure will not work if you have not previously enabled the Set command for the Recovery Console. See this KB Article for how to do that.
    See post 18 for another method to use.

Using the XP Recovery Console:

Insert the Windows XP CD and boot the system.
    When prompted to Press any key to boot from CD... press any key like Spacebar or Enter

When you boot from the CD, the following is displayed:
    On a black screen:
    Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration...
    Screen turns Blue, and Windows Setup is displayed at the top.
    at the bottom is displayed the following in sequence:
    Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver
    Press F2 to run Automated System Recovery (ASR)...
    Setup is loading files (file names displayed)
    Title changes to Windows XP Professional (or Home Edition) Setup

The options to setup or repair Windows are displayed
    Choose To repair a Windows XP installation using recovery console, press R.
    You may need to choose the Windows installation if you have a dual boot system. Type the number of the Windows installation you want to log into.
    You will need to enter the Administrator password unless you previously disabled that requirement; if it's blank, just press enter.

You should now be at a C:\WINDOWS> prompt
    Type the following lines pressing enter after each one. Change the drive letter if your windows install is not on C:.
    Note that there are spaces between each differently colored part of the commands.
    Set allowallpaths = true -- if this command fails, this will not work.
    Dir IE*
    Check if you have both an IE7 and IE8 folder listed. If you have both, do both sets of commands, start with IE8.
    To Remove IE8, type these commands

• cd ie8\spuninst
    • batch spuninst.txt
    • cd ..
    • cd ..
      (This 2nd one should return you to C:\Windows)
    To Remove IE7, type these commands

• cd ie7\spuninst
    • batch spuninst.txt
    Type exit to reboot, and see if you can activate now.

12. thoyler

thoyler Thread Starter

TheOutcaste:

I ran all the commands; seemed to work OK. Screen activity for both ie8 and ie7 was first "access denied" (many files) and second "1 Files Copied" (many files).

On reboot:

Initially everything was the same:

""On reboot the OS popped up with a window:
    (Window Reads:

"This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate now?").
    ""

After I clicked Yes to activate, the computer went to the INTERNET (activity ~ 4 min.). It then logged off, I reentered the password and it rebooted. The computer is now in a loop (boot/enter PW/log off/reenter PW/re-boot).

What next? (y) (y) :)

thoyler

13. thoyler

thoyler Thread Starter

Updates

I tried the "Turn off computer" button and there were 8 updates. So, I clicked "Turn Off", and it loaded all of them.

After reboot, the looping does not include a shut down:

boot (enter PW/log off/reenter PW/).

Computer now seems to be downloading more updates, or something.

thoyler

14. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I just hope one of them isn't KB977165 if you already had a particular TDSS Rootkit in residence.

15. thoyler

thoyler Thread Starter

Hello Saga Lout:

Well. if there is a problem, I can Re-image the drive to it's original state; before the "repair" operation (Quick "Blue screen" then reboot). :eek: :eek:

Should I not install any more? :confused: It's still downloading.

thoyler :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/908105

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice