1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Product Activation Issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by thoyler, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thoyler

thoyler Thread Starter

Saga Lout:

After looking up the "KB977165", I found some information on a Google search at this site:

https://patrickwbarnes.com/blog/2010/02/microsoft-update-kb977165-triggering-widespread-bsod/

Site Quote:

"I have found that the root cause is an infection of %System32\drivers\atapi.sys, and that replacing this file with a clean version will get the system booting normally.

This is not the first time that an infection hitting atapi.sys has caused updates to trigger bluescreens. If you are running Windows and have not yet applied this update, make sure you scan your computer thoroughly for infections before applying this update. If you are experiencing this problem, get your computer to a professional that can replace the infected atapi.sys and clean any other malware from your computer."

and:

"UPDATE:
    An atapi.sys infection may not be the only cause of this blue screen. While it does seem to be the most common cause, other infected drivers or drivers that make incorrect references to the updated kernel bits may also cause blue screens after this update is applied. Make sure you scan any computer with up-to-date antivirus software that can detect rootkits and check for updated drivers for your computer before applying this update."

Can it be repaired that easily?

Current status is: More Downloads to install, and a lot of disk activity (not insalling any updates / not rebooting) :) :)

thoyler

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

May as well let them complete - that KB problem is nearly a month old now. There's a fix at the head of the XP Board front page by Cookiegal which is tried and tested if it comes down to 977165.

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

MS has fixed the 977165 update so that it checks for the rootkit first and will not install if it's present. So as long as it wasn't downloaded before it was updated that shouldn't be a problem.
    http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archi...ate-re-released-with-new-detection-logic.aspx

It may be that it was the cause of the original problem though, hard to say at this point.

I ran through the steps on another system with default settings, and I got 5 access denied errors. (I always set the Recovery Console for full access to the disk). With the default settings, the batch command can't access the Program Files folder to replace the files. Seems Microsoft overlooked that limitation of the Recovery Console's default settings.

We can do this with a Vista or Win 7 Recovery CD though.
    Download either a Vista or Win 7 CD from one of these links and burn the ISO to a CD.
    Vista:
    Vista Recovery Environment CD
    64 bit Vista
    32 bit Vista
    Windows 7:
    Recovery Environment CD

• Boot with the CD
    • Select your language and click Next
    • Click Repair your Computer
    • After it scans for Windows installations click Next (Win7: Select Top option first)
    • Click Command Prompt.
    Type these commands:
    If you had IE8 Installed:
    CD /D C:\Windows\IE8\spuninst
    If you get an error, don't continue. When booted to a live CD the hard drive letters may be different, so this would take some modification.
    Copy spuninst.txt ie8uninst.bat
    ie8uninst.bat

If you also had IE7:
    CD /D C:\Windows\IE7\spuninst
    Copy spuninst.txt ie7uninst.bat
    ie7uninst.bat

These should complete without any errors.
    Close the command prompt, then click Restart

4. thoyler

thoyler Thread Starter

Hello TheOutcaste:

I have installed an additional 58 updates and rebooted; no change in boot up, or looping: boot (enter PW / Log off). (y)

I will download the Windows 7 Recovery Environment CD and run the commands you've given me.

thoyler

5. akabilk

akabilk

I just finished a re-install and activation ( 4 in the last week actually ...don't ask!). Pity that I don't remember the 008 number!

I can't see the fuss (there shouldn't be one really). If you own the XP OS copy you are legally able to re-install it as many times as you like regardless of hardware changes. I have probably re-activated windows XP 30 times (I tinker a lot) since I bought the XP OS disk in 2003 and on 3 completely different computers (they had various major hardware upgrades too) that I have owned due to updating to new PCs. I've never had an OS activation problem. Lots of others, but not that issue.

Of course my original disk number code has never worked for years and nor does the 'enter these 9 lots of numbers into the below boxes' [funny that one, as there is only 7 boxes not 9!). I go straight to 'phone to validate' now and have never had a problem. You own the OS install disk and can re-install and validate it to your own computer [even if it's upgraded or a new one) every day of the year if you want. There is no 'max'. validations. People only THINK there is and if there is, the max. must be a lot as I am a serial re-installer and I haven't reached the (mythical I'm sure) 'max' yet!

6. thoyler

thoyler Thread Starter

Hello TheOutcaste:

I have used the Recovery Environment CD (had to use the 32 bit Vista; the Win 7 DL was unavailable). It seems to have worked very well. (y)

No change in looping status though; still not reaching any desktop features, or activation wizard. :confused:

As you indicated earlier:

""MS has fixed the 977165 update so that it checks for the rootkit first and will not install if it's present. So as long as it wasn't downloaded before it was updated that shouldn't be a problem.
    http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...ion-logic.aspx

It may be that it was the cause of the original problem though, hard to say at this point.
    ""

could the computer have been infected with the BSOD from the KB977165 update (before I got it a week ago)? :confused: :confused:

What next? (y) :)

thoyler

Hi akabilk:

Your right, ""(there shouldn't be one really)"" is correct. I'm not getting to any screen, or phone number? :confused:

The copy of SW, along with COA & Key are legal.

Any suggestions? :) :)

thoyler

7. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

If that W7 disk allows you to edit the Registry in XP, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Microsoft>WindowsNT>Current Version>WPAEvents then in the topic pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then Modify and delete a couple of the alpha-numeric characters. Exit the Registry from the File menu and restart under XP's own steam - not the W7 DVD - and see if that forces the system to open properly, albeit forcing activation.

This is a last resort option but it shouldn't leave you any worse off than you are at the moment. You'll then need to click on the Telephone option radio button unless the Net version shows up with a pre-generated PID. For that eventuality, make sure the Internet connection is live.

8. thoyler

thoyler Thread Starter

Hello Saga Lout:

I can only use the "command prompt" with this Vista CD. :confused:

Is there a way to do that through the command prompt? (y) :)

thoyler

9. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Not really - or at least, not without overwriting the entire Software hives of the Registry with a previous version. That said, your two versions of the files Software and Software.bak in c:\windows\system32\config should only be days apart and the OOBE Timer may have changed between those dates but I think it's a bit drastic in these circumstances. Have you tried starting up the system without an Internet connection? That might just make it show you the whole Activation Wizard instead of just trooping off to try doing it online.

10. bbearren

bbearren

Run a repair/reinstall of XP. This will install IE6. It will also boot into Windows and give you the option to call MS for activation.

The ability for the Recovery Console to access all paths can only be configured through the registry; if you can't boot into Windows, you can't easily get into the registry to set the proper key. Visit my homepage and click on Recovery Console +.

11. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

The Vista disk can load and edit the Registry.
    If you were able to run the spuninst.bat file for both IE8 and IE7, another Repair install might work this time, now that we've gotten IE back to the original version 6. Might be the easiest solution.

You have to uninstall IE7/IE8 before doing a repair or IE stops working, but you can usually still log in and fix it that way, as documented here:
    How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if a later version of Internet Explorer is installed
    Don't know why it's insisting on activating first this time.

The logs on/logs off can be the result of malware changing the userinit.exe file or registry entries. The KB977165 issue usually wouldn't let you get as far as the Welcome screen.
    We can check that easy enough and remove it if installed just to make sure.

Boot with the Vista CD and get back to a Command Prompt
    Type the following commands and press Enter
    CD /D C:\Windows
    CD $NtUninstallKB977165$

If you get The system cannot find the path specified, then the update is not installed. Continue with the next section.
    If it switches to that folder (the Prompt will change to C:\Windows\$NtUninstallKB977165$>), type these commands:
    CD spuninst
    Copy spuninst.txt spuninst.bat
    spuninst.bat

Reboot and see if it makes a difference, if not continue.

If this is an issue with the userinit file, see Method 2 in this post to use the Vista CD to check the registry entries and to make sure you have a good copy of the userinit.exe file:
    Looping Login Fix, Recovery Console or Vista/Win7 DVD

12. thoyler

thoyler Thread Starter

Hi Saga Lout:

In your directions from post #22 @

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Microsoft>WindowsNT>Current Version>WPAEvents"

I don't see "WPAEvents" :confused:

thoyler

Hi TheOutcaste:

CD $NtUninstallKB977165$ = The system cannot find the path specifed

I have used the Vista to enter the registry. Following "Method 2" @ (y) (y)

"Double click on SOFTWARE (the one with no extension)
    In the Key Name: box type @Software"

I entered "@software"; is this correct? :confused: :eek:

then @

"navigate to here:

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\@SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    In the right pane, double click the userinit item.
    It likely says C:\Windows\System32\wsaupdater.exe, or C:\Windows\System32\winlogon86.exe,
    (If so, the userinit.exe file is probably just fine)
    Edit this to read:
    C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,"

it reads: X:\windows\system32\userinit.exe, :confused:

Should I change the x:\ to c:\ ? :confused:

thoyler :) :)

13. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Yes, correct.
    If it says X: you are likely looking at the Vista registry, not the XP Registry.
    Are you sure when you did the File | Load Hive... you were in the C:\Windows\System32\Config folder, and not the X:\Windows\System32\Config folder?. Easiest way to make sure is after clicking File | Load Hive... and the dialog opens, double click Computer on the left, then double click the C: drive, Windows, System32, and finally config

Double check the Registry path and make sure you are in the key with the name you entered, @SOFTWARE
    I.E
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\[B][COLOR=Red]@[/COLOR][/B]SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    not 
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    The path should be displayed at the bottom of the Registry Editor window in the Status bar. If the status bar is not Visible, click View | Status Bar
    If you are sure you are in the right spot, change it. Won't hurt if you are in the Vista Registry, as you can't really change it, it just won't make a difference.

Also, the Vista registry loaded by the Recovery Environment will not have the WPAEvents key. You have to first load the XP Software hive, and use the @SOFTWARE name. So if you don't see WPAEvents under Winlogon (should see WOW, then WPAEvents) that's a good sign you are in SOFTWARE, not @SOFTWARE

14. thoyler

thoyler Thread Starter

HI:

FYI

Last night I put this Drive in ny computer (as slave), booted to my OS and accessed the drive with "Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder 2.0.6 (tools/ load hive..) and got this read out:

"Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
    Product ID: 55274-074-2457253-22910
    CD Key: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX (this is the Key for the Disk I'm using)
    Unknown media Key
    Registered Owner: home
    Registered Organization:

Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage
    Product ID: 54185-640-0000025-17074
    CD Key: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX (this must have been the the old OS)
    OPEN [Volume License Key] media Key

Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007
    Product ID: 81608-875-3051165-65415
    CD Key: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
    Unknown media Key

Symantec Norton Internet Security 2007
    Key: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

Is this information useful? (y)

thoyler :)

15. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Only for you if you didn't already have the keys written down someplace.
    The 2nd one in blue is actually for Microsoft Office XP, aka Office 2002, not Microsoft Windows XP

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/908105

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice