1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Product Activation!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rafis69, Jun 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rafis69

Rafis69 Thread Starter

Hello, my friend has e-machines computer c2280 with windows xp. Last week the motherboard and the power supply died. My friens just wants to recover some important files for school that he really needs. I thought if i could just take his hard drive and install it to my computer i would be able to acces his files but on the log on screen it asked me for a Activation Key. I called microsoft and they told me i had to contact emachines. I called emachines and they told me that i had to buy another emachines motherboard or a new OS. I think thats too much of a time hassle. I'am able to log on to safe mode using his emachines hard drive, but i cannot acces his user account when i click the C drive then documents and settings and then his user account. I thought it was because he had a password but i deleted it and still can't get acces. I just want to get those files that i have in My Documents folder. Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Install it as a slave drive ... then you can browse it and recover the Data files.

3. Rafis69

Rafis69 Thread Starter

I did but i get a "acces denied" error when trying to access that specific user account. Any other suggestions?

4. curtis74

curtis74

Just to clarify, You said you set your friends drive to slave. If that is right then when you startup your computer his drive should be listed as D: or E: or whatever the next drive letter is that your PC has available. Is this what you are doing? If that is the case then you should be able to view his files. Maybe he has them password protected?

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

You really should be able to get the OS reactivated on his Emachine.

The product code on the side of his computer paid for that copy of M$ to go with that computer.
    Emachines can't activate it ... And you should be able to fix the hardware with the hardware of your choice.
    You will have to tell M$ that you replaced the motherboard.
    I'd keep calling back till I got someone who knew what they were doing ... or spoke English.

6. Rafis69

Rafis69 Thread Starter

Well he used to have a password. Then i deleted the password when i signed in as the adminastrator because i thought that maybe it would then let me acces the account but i still get the acces denied message!

7. Rafis69

Rafis69 Thread Starter

I thought of replacing the motherboard with anymother board of his choice but, i have spent the last 2 days reading the web with similar problems and from what i have read, i can only buy emachines motherboards if i dont want to have the product activation problem. Would it work if i put any motherboard then i try to install the Microsoft restore cd? Would that delete any information on the drive? Thanks for your help!

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

You never answered curtis 74's question in post #4. Did you take the hard drive from the troubled eMachine and set it up as a slave drive in your machine?

You want your existing drive to be the bootable drive and you should be able to install his drive as a slave drive and recover the data from that drive.

You do not want your machine to be trying to boot from the troubled eMachine drive.

9. Defilted

Defilted

i use a maddog HD reader for all troubled drives. I can easly pull off info on any HD that still spins. If u are having trouble installing it, buying a External HD reader would be a very easy and less than 50 dollar solution.

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

11. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I think the member is trying to run Windows from the drive he ahs the problem with, All you need is a file transfer program like Windows Explorer or Total Commander to access the data files you do not need to run Windows off the slave drive.

12. win2kpro

win2kpro

Lol, kiwiguy I had that link ready for an additional post. At this point, I'm not really sure what he tried to do. :confused:

13. win2kpro

win2kpro

ozrom1e, another option that may be possible if the other machine can read the troubled guide is to boot the machine with a Knoppix Live CD and extract the files to removable media.

14. steven1350

steven1350

I dont mean to push linux on anyone, but use a live cd (Knoppix, PCLinuxOS). You do not need passwords to access files on a computer (unless they are encrypted). Hope this helps.

Note: You need a cd burner.

Dont worry about these cds. They dont install anything on your computer.
    Copy and paste your files to a new and safe location.

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

They don't need Linux, the solution has already been posted for this problem.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/472640

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice