1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Protection Error: vmm32.vxd

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Cerviperus, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cerviperus

Cerviperus Thread Starter

I have two Compaq Presario 2286's that I'm trying to re-format and use simply as Internet access terminals. They were donated to the company by one of our accountants, so we don't have any of the recovery software that originally came with them. We do, however, have hundreds of licenses for Windows '98, so we don't have a problem there.

The first PC is giving me an issue I can't seem to resolve. I formatted the drive using FDISK (deleting the partitions & letting Windows setup format it), and followed suit by installing Windows 98SE. Once it completed the format and system check, it began the "copying files & installing" stage. That completed as well, and the system rebooted. At this point, one would expect Windows to load. However, I get the Windows 98 loading screen, then the PC bounces back to DOS with the following error (may not be word for word exact):

Windows Protection Error. Could not find vmm32.vxd. Please Restart Your Computer.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

2. bradly

bradly

Do you have a scanner connected to your PC?

3. Cerviperus

Negative. The only things connected are mouse, keyboard, and monitor.

4. bradly

bradly

5. Rabscuttle

Rabscuttle

Before the reboot, take the setup CD out. It will then boot normally.

If at any point after this, it again asks for the cd, just put it back in. The path for a setup is: d:\win98 (assuming that D: is your optical drive).

If all else fails, then reformat the drive and copy the WIn98 directory from the CD to the hard drive and run setup off the hard drive directly.

I hope this helps!!

6. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

7. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Rabscuttle has the solution.

Just take the CD out of the drive.

8. Cerviperus

Thanks for the help everyone. Rabscuttle's suggestion worked. I copied the setup files over to the HDD and ran setup from there. Worked like a charm!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/334665

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice