Solved: Windows recovery wont complete, blue screen & raid setup issue.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Punker1234

Hey folks.

I somehow really messed up on this one. I had a problem where my computer wasn't booting past the windows load screen and to try and fix I loaded a system recovery in safe mode. That seemed to bother my computer more as now it won't boot saying the following:

"Windows could not start because of the following missing or corrupt file:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

It suggests that I use windows recovery. So I pop in the DVD, and sometimes it works, sometimes not. It will often freeze on loading a video file/driver and at the end it will read "file i8042prt.sys caused an unexpected error in (32768) at line u96t in d drive"

I think its my bogus DVD drive but it does work half the time. So even when the windows recovery boots, I would let it go through and hit R for recovery. However, it says Windows doesn't detect any drives, probably because I have two drives on Raid0. I retry and hit f6 when it starts to load third party drivers. Now, I have 4 discs for raid drivers. I've tried all 4, each with multiple options within. The computer is 4 years old, so for the life of me I can't remember which I've used when originally loading windows.

When I post, my bios shows Sil3132 Sata Raid Bios version 7.2.18. I tried all 4 disks, but the Sil3132 Sata Raid Driver Disk by ABIT Version 1.00 multiple times. Still no go. What happens is I get the blue screen of death.

"Problem has been detected... etc etc
Check for viruses etc etc, run chkdsk /f to check for hard drive corruption.

***Stop 0x0000007b (oxF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

Now, I believe that my drives are fine. When I go into the raid settings in bios, it says they are operating normal, and the problem that made the computer go haywire is a problem I experienced before that people fixed here and discovered to be a driver issue. See old post years ago...

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/596146-solved-windows-cant-boot-black.html

So, now I'm stuck. I can't recover it seems, so frustration is building. I will try and download the latest drivers from ABIT and try those, but anyone have any ideas? I've tried recovery maybe 30+ times and no go. Not sure how to proceed as I unfortunately need some data on these drives.

I realize this was incredibly long, so I really appreciate your help and hope some of you out there truly enjoy a good challenge. Thanks again! -Jeff

Mobo: AB9 Pro

The first error is saying your registry hive SYSTEM was messed up or unavailable. This could well be file system corruption. Therefore running chkdsk might solve it. So trying to get the Recovery Console working was a good idea.

If your DVD drive is known to be dodgy then I'd get a new one to eliminate that out of the chain or you might be pulling your hair trying to work out what is causing what.

If you have Raid0 then clearly you need to load the drivers. Only you can solve that one. If you use the correct drivers it should load OK.

The stop 7b error is an unloadable boot device. If your system partition is on the RAID array and you're not loading the drivers then this is expected.

Raid0 is generally a bad idea as far as data is concerned. Clearly you've been backing up extra regularly knowing it is an inherently risky system to run yes? ;-)

Punker1234

Hey Nozz

Thank you for your reply. So the error that I'm receiving in recovery is because I'm not loading the correct raid drivers. Is there anyway to figure out what I used previously? Is there a solution if I can't get recovey to work?

Would an option be to install Windows on a new single drive and then gather my data from a Raid utility program? Is that even possible to gather data from Raid0 drives?

I realize raid0 is unreliable, and just from my issues with loading drives previously over the years and such, it's safe to say I won't be using raid again. I didn't backup, of course :)

Yeah as far as I can see, your problem is likely to be the raid drivers. Trial and error and the manufacturers website are your options here, unless someone has a better idea.

You might also try testing your drives just in case one of them has a problem. You can download Seagate Seatools, burn it to a CD, boot from that and use it to test the drives - just to rule that out.

Punker1234

Just out of curiousity, if I cannot get the drivers to work, would the new hard drive be a possibility? Where I load it on a single drive, and use a raid backup utility tool to gather my info from that? Is that a probability?

Punker1234

***Update***

I downloaded the Seagate tools as suggested and ran some of tests on there. It says that all disks passed and that the two devices were on Intel ICH8R/9R/10R controller..

So I went to ABIT and proceeded to download every possible raid driver I can get my hands on. I try to load them as normal with F6 and the floppy. 3 of the 5 work when it asks for drivers, loads then and takes me to the menu where I choose recovery. However, when I press R, it says I don't have any disks.

So I have two disks that I load and get the blue screen of death. Intel ICH7R/8R Raid Install disk, and Intel Raid AHKI Install. I will load the windows setup by pressing any key in dos. Hit F6 to load the 3rd party drivers, and asks me to select which drivers to install. I've tried all 32 bit options. It will accept them, go through a few more files and then eventually say at the bottom that Windows is starting up. I then proceed to get the blue screen of death with the error listed 4-5 posts up.

Also, how can i get to dos so I can run the chkdsk? Is it possible to create a floppy to do so?

Any ideas? I never change anything in BIOS, so I don't know what happened. Should i reset my bios options to defaults and go from there? The RAID utility in BIOS show its good, Seagate tools show its good. It's so odd, never ran into this before. Any extra ideas? Should I try my new hard drive idea? I really don't want to do that, but if I have too I will. AGAIN, I thank anyone that offers your help, I'm completely stuck and my knowledge of PC's is completely tapped at this point. Thanks again. -Jeff

Punker1234

PS, I should mention I have artifacts all over BIOS. Maybe that matters or maybe it doesn't.

Punker1234

Hey Nozzac. I actually solved the issue! I reset bios as a last resort to fail safe settings. I then change everything in BIOS that needed to be such as raid setup, etc etc. And I run the setup for the 60th time, and bam. Went straight through. I was able to run chkdsk, and it found an error. On my next startup, it will load windows in safe mode, but I still have a malware issue I believe, so I'm going to start a thread in there.

I appreciate your help Nozzac. -Jeff

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online