1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Search failed to start

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SilverLining, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilverLining

SilverLining Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2400 @ 1.83GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2551 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family, 224 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 57231 MB, Free - 49028 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 30AD
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

I am getting these three error messages in my event viewer at start up. For some reason I get these three error messages three times in a row and then they repeat twice, so there is a total of nine error messages.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: DCOM
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 10005
    Date: 12/11/2013
    Time: 2:54:07 PM
    User: MC-5812682DB5F0\Admin
    Computer: MC-5812682DB5F0
    Description:
    DCOM got error "The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. " attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server:
    {7D096C5F-AC08-4F1F-BEB7-5C22C517CE39}

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event ID: 7009
    User: N/A
    Description:
    Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Windows Search service to connect.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event ID: 7000
    User: N/A
    Description:
    The Windows Search service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

When I go into Services it says that Windows Search startup type is automatic but it is not strted and when I try to start it maually the popup says:

Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Also, if I go to the Start menu and go to System Information -- System Summary\Software Environment\Windows Error Reporting these errors are not listed there. There are no entries after 12/9/2013.

I am still able to search for files in Windows Explorer but I cannot use the Windows Search when I go to Start --> All Programs --> Windows Search

Is Windows Search important? I disabled it and the Event IDs 7000, 7009, and 10005 are no longer appearing, but now the following error message appears three times in a row in the Event Viewer:

Event Source: DCOM
    Event ID: 10005
    Time: 3:43:52 PM
    User: MC-5812682DB5F0\Admin
    Description:
    DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server:
    {7D096C5F-AC08-4F1F-BEB7-5C22C517CE39}

Also, even though I disabled it, it still appears in the Task Manager. Is Windows Search necessary for Windows to work properly?

2. SilverLining

SilverLining Thread Starter

I was able to successfully disable Windows Search and I am no longer receiving error messages in the Event Viewer. I will consider this issue resolved.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1115098

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice