1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Security Centre Misdetecting Anti-Virus Program

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by **__**, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

I just had Norton Anti-Virus Software removed, and when I go the Control Panel> Security Center, and when I look at the Virus Protection tab, Windows tells me that Norton Anti-Virus software is on and working, although I uninstalled it.

Why is it misdetecting the software, and how to I resolve this so that it will accurately show me which program is protecting windows?

Windows XP Pro SP2

2. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

I installed AVG free edition Anti-Virus Software, and now the Windows Security Center tells me that there is more than one Virus Protection software running on my PC. Right now, I only have one anti-virus software installed and running on my computer (which is AVG). The previous one I had was Norton antivirus which I uninstalled using a Norton Antivirus Removal tool. Why is the Windows Security Center in Control Panel, stating that I have more than one virus protection program running, if I really have one???

3. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Norton has always been a pain to get rid of because it installs bits of itself in every nook and cranny on your computer and it requires very painstaking research of your computer to rid yourself of it entirely ...I think that you have uninstalled it properly but you might need to do the following to get rid of the remaining bits .... I found this here if you want to check on it http://www.schrockinnovations.com/removenav4.php

Completely Remove Symantec Products to Solve Norton Installation Problems... Continued
    Next, double click on your C drive and then double click on the program files folder. In the Program Files window, delete any of the following folders that are present:

Symantec Norton Antivirus
    Symantec Norton Internet Security
    Symantec Norton SystemWorks
    Symantec Norton Personal Firewall
    Last but not least, you need to download and run one final file. In some cases, older Symantec files may survive the Symantec Norton removal tool cleanup. To eliminate these files, download the Symantec Norton MSI cleanup file (SYMMSICLEANUP.reg) and save it to your desktop. Double click on the file to run it and click Yes to any security warnings that appear.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *note* If you use the Firefox browser, you will need to download a different file to accomplish this tasks. Firefox users, please download this version of the Symantec Norton MSI Cleanup file (SYMMSICLEANUP.reg).

4. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

I followed the instructions you posted in post #3, I restarted my computer, and I also uninstalled my AVG free edition Anti-Virus.

The windows Security Center is still telling me that Norton Anti-Virus is running and it is up to date. Is there another way to solve this?

5. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

I just want to add one more detail...... this "Norton Anti-virus software" is from Symantec, but I downloaded this Norton AntiVirus software from my internet service provider's website, "Rogers Yahoo". I just wanted to clarify this because this isn't the original Norton AntiVirus that is usually purchased from the store. This version is a bit different that is run by Rogers Yahoo, but it's still Norton AntiVirus by Symantec.

6. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

Bump

7. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

??????

8. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

Any Solutions????????

9. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

Is there anyway that I can get furthur into the Windows Security Center's Virus Protection area, or is there any way I can reset it so that it can re-detect if there is any virus program really on?

10. telecom69

If you go into the Control Panel and click on the Security Centre,then look at Virus Protection,to the right of that you will see two small downward pointing arrows,click on them and a menu will pop-up ...what is that saying?

11. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

It sais, " Norton AntiVirus reports that it is up to date and virus scanning is on. Antivirus software helps protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. "

The think is that I don't have any AntiVirus software installed.

12. telecom69

Strange one this ....to me now its looking like Norton is NOT uninstalled even though you seem to have gone through all the stages of doing it ....I said earlier that Norton has always been a pain to get rid of ...tell me if you click on Start/search/all files and folders,then type in Norton and search ...how many instances of it come up in the results ?? this may take some time to get rid of but we will give it a try if you want to ....

13. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

There were no results for Norton in Search.

14. telecom69

15. **__**

**__** Thread Starter

I already tried this site previously. I still have the problem.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540590

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice