1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows Server 2003 exchange almost full

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Anthony5557, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anthony5557

Anthony5557 Thread Starter

I would on the Pos systems for a restruant change. I do work on they computers in the office and maintain the networks at the resturants. This company has a server in their main office. They recently asked me to look at the problem and see what I think. The problem is I don't know what to think I virtually know nothing about severs outside of giving their employees access and email accounts on it. The server has three drives a c:/ , d:/ , and exchange m:/ drive. The exchange drive sent the office manager an email saying that is was almost out of space. I looked and it only has about 400mb left. What am I supposed to do about this. And what is the exchange drive. I think it is for their email but don't really know. All your help will be appreciated. I want to learn about this thing and understand how servers work. Thanks.

2. srhoades

srhoades

Exchange stores everyones mail, calendars, and contacts in one large monolithic database file. Public folders, if there are any, are stored in a separate database file. The exchange drive is just a stand alone hard drive or partition set aside to store these database files and the exchange log files. Once the available storage gets below a certain amount, the databases will dismount and users will not have access to their email. First thing I would do is to encourage users to delete what they absolutely don't need. Second, look into purging the old logs as they can take up quite a bit of space, see the following Microsoft article.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240145

If that doesn't solve your problem, you can easily install another hard drive and just as easily tell exchange to move the databases to the new hard drive.

3. Rockn

Rockn

Or get some more storage, dismount the store, move it and bring it up on the additional storage.

4. Anthony5557

I would really like to go and delete the things in there that aren't needed. How do I know which things that I should delete and which things that need to be saved?

5. Rockn

Rockn

You cannot go in there and delete anything. It is up to the end user to delete or archive things they no longer need. Either that or you can implement some retention policies that will run on a monthly basis and delete any emails odler than your set retention policy.

6. Anthony5557

So I have to tell 57 people to go and delete things from there emails. The drive size is 20gb, I don't think that can be all email can it?

7. Rockn

Rockn

It is everything that they use in Exchange, calendars, contacts, notes, tasks. The majorrity of it will be email and with 57 people with no mailbox restrictions or policies set could easily exceed the Exchange limitations for mail stores. You should really move the logs adn databases off of the C drive and onto some other attached storage.

8. Anthony5557

It isn't on the C drive. It's on the M drive. The C drive and the D drive have plenty of space. It's the Exchange drive letter M that is so full.

9. Rockn

Rockn

M isn't a real drive unless they did an upgrade from a previous version of Exchange to 2003. I believe M is a virtual drive that is just a share on one of your physical drives. Look in Administrative Tools > Computer Management and look under Disk Manager to see if M is a real physical drive.

Regardless if you do not upgrade the storage you will run into the same issue again and again.

10. Anthony5557

so just order an new hard drive probably a 500gb and install? If I do that how do I make the server send all the other stuff to the other drive?

11. Rockn

Rockn

12. Anthony5557

which one do I move the log files or database? Probably just the files right?

13. Rockn

Rockn

Move both of them to the new drive. Back up everything before you do anything. You never answered the question as to whether or not that M drive was actually a mapped drive or a physical drive. What size is your Exchange database at now? There may be a way to fix it without having to do anything too drastic.

14. AQ78

AQ78

please bare in mind that out of the box exhchange 2003 standard is limited to 16gb mailstore also

15. Anthony5557

I will be looking at the server tomorrow. I will check to see if it is a mapped drive or not. I do believe it is 16gb that is almost full on the m drive.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice