1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Windows shadow copy

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by raybro, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

When running a backup with Easeus ToDo Home 5.5 (free version) I get the message that some files cannot be backed up because of Windows Shadow Copy and I should disable it and snapshot.

A seach of the OS found nothing, nor was Easeus Help of any help. Google yielded a number of hits, but they all resulted "cannot find page"

Anyone know what this is all about?

2. Wepynx

Wepynx

Don't know if this helps but you find Windows Shadow Copy in "Services", go there and you can stop/start it.

3. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Thanks for the response Wepynx... :)

Windows 8/Services has no listing of Shadow Copy nor Windows Shadow Copy. But your post prompted me to look further and I found an entry called Volume Shadow Copy in Services. Googled that and I gather that's what they call the service in Win 8. MS changed a lot of nomenclatures in Win 8 (wish they wouldn't do that :mad: ). I've not investigated it completely as yet.

Confusion factor... :confused:
    The service was set to manual startup and is not running. I do not know if it was running when I created the Easeus backup that prompted this question. From what I can glean from Google search, it should be running, but it's not.

It may or may not be associated with the fact I'm now running with the SSD. When I have the time, I'll put the HDD back in and see if it is still set on manual startup.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

The service needs to be running to make a backup of files that are otherwise locked or in use. You may be right about the SSD since it would result in more drive use if running. The only problem with a snapshot is that it could lead to possible inconsistencies if a change was made to the system during the backup since it backs things up "as it gets to them" rather than backing up the state of the system at the time the backup is started which is done with a shadow copy.

But I've never had any particular problems with snapshots, either, in Acronis. I prefer to use the service, but snapshots seem to work just as well. You wouldn't want to install a new driver or make any other major change during a snapshot, but other than that, it should work as well.

5. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Thanks Elvandil, that helps. At this point I'm just trying to understand. Your input may help me to at least ask an intelligent question tomorrow when my brain starts working again (he said, hopefully). :D

6. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

I'm back this morning, hopefully with a working brain.. :D

Installed the original HDD in the laptop and booted into Windows. Check of the Volume Shadow Copy service shows it to be in same config as with the SSD. Manual startup and not running.

This is NOT something I have intentionally changed. The original drive has no windows updates installed into the OS nor any Dell updates. My assumption is this is the default config from Dell. The ONLY potential I can even remotely envision is the installation of either Acronis True Image 2013 and/or Easeus ToDo Backup Home 5.5, somehow changing the Shadow Copy service configuration. Hard for me to accept as likely or even possible.

The question now is, do I change the Volume Shadow Copy service config or leave as is (off). My inclination is to follow my own advise to others in the past and follow the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy.

Thoughts???

7. Wepynx

Wepynx

Just checked mine and it's the same as yours, so your "if it ain't broke" theory sounds good.

8. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Thanks... Are you also running Win 8?

9. Pouggy

Pouggy

Take a look at my case posted 08 March 2013. It may be related and may help.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

There are a lot of services that are started when needed no matter whether they are set to auto or manual. I've had the shadow service both ways in efforts to make sure I actually get a shadow copy and not a snapshot, but I doubt it has made any difference at all (except maybe slowing boot when it starts to find it has nothing to do and then shuts down). If the setting exists in a program to use the service, it will start it when needed.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087580

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice