Solved: Windows sound recorder disappeared

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sachs

Small sound recorder disappeared and it's impossible to get it again even from the XP CD. What can I do? What happened? I had it since a short while ago. "exe" is still inside Windows folder. Many thanks Greetings

SpyKiller112

Go to Start/Control Panel/Add or Remove Progs/Add or Remove Windows
Components

I'm on Vista right now so I'm not entirely sure where it would be after that, but my guess would be "Accessories and Utilities"

sachs

I tried obviously, even with the Cd inside, unsuccessfully. I I didn't I wouldn't ask for help. Many, many thanks and greetings.

Hello sachs, have you looked in C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/SOUNDREC32.EXE or C:/SYSTEM32/SNDREC32.exe? If it's there, right-click and drag to Desktop, release, create shortcut and to where you want it.

sachs

The file is there but doesn't open anything. Soibot S % D starts scanning the file (?????) Are other files needed? Greetings, Thanks

The file is there but doesn't open anything. Soibot S % D starts scanning the file (?????) Are other files needed? Greetings, Thanks
sachs if it's there just make a short cut you should be ok after that. As far as Spybot S & D scanning the file you must have highlighted Scan using Spybot S & D instead of Create Shortcut.

sachs

Many thanks indeed. I was talking about that the recorder file is there but instead of opening, Spybot started a scanning of it. Nothing else. The problem is the file doesn't open the application; it's gone. Thanks and greetings

Many thanks indeed. I was talking about that the recorder file is there but instead of opening, Spybot started a scanning of it. Nothing else. The problem is the file doesn't open the application; it's gone. Thanks and greetings
Well, since it's corrupted the next thing would be to download this http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ I've been told it's better than the windows sound recorder anyways. Good Luck!!!;)

sachs

At last the file disappeared. Thanks a lot.

No doubt Audacity is a much better app, but just for the curious, or die-hard Sound Recorder fans, here's how to re-install it.

WinXP has the Multimedia group (where sound recorder is) hidden by default.
To re-install Sound Recorder:

Close Add/Remove Programs if open
Click Start | Run
type notepad %windir\inf\sysoc.inf
Find the line that reads:
MultiM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,multimed.inf,HIDE,7
Remove the word HIDE so it looks like this:
MultiM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,multimed.inf,,7
(make sure there are two commas)
Save the file; if you want to re-hide this, leave Notepad open and you can put the word HIDE right back.
Now, to re-install:

1. Open Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
  2. Click on Add/Remove Windows Components
  3. In the Windows Components Wizard window, Highlight Accessories and Utilities and click the Details... button
  4. Highlight MultiMedia and click the Details... button
  5. If Sound Recorder is checked, uncheck it to uninstall it.
  6. Click OK, then click OK, then click Next>
  7. Windows may prompt for the XP CD
  8. When it's finished, click Finish
If you unchecked Sound Recorder above, repeat the above steps, this time Checking Sound Recorder to re-install.
Close Add/Remove Programs
If desired, put the word HIDE back in the sysoc.inf file, then save it and close Notepad.

HTH

Jerry

No doubt Audacity is a much better app, but just for the curious, or die-hard Sound Recorder fans, here's how to re-install it.

WinXP has the Multimedia group (where sound recorder is) hidden by default.
To re-install Sound Recorder:

Close Add/Remove Programs if open
Click Start | Run
type notepad %windir\inf\sysoc.inf
Find the line that reads:
MultiM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,multimed.inf,HIDE,7
Remove the word HIDE so it looks like this:
MultiM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,multimed.inf,,7
(make sure there are two commas)
Save the file; if you want to re-hide this, leave Notepad open and you can put the word HIDE right back.
Now, to re-install:

1. Open Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
  2. Click on Add/Remove Windows Components
  3. In the Windows Components Wizard window, Highlight Accessories and Utilities and click the Details... button
  4. Highlight MultiMedia and click the Details... button
  5. If Sound Recorder is checked, uncheck it to uninstall it.
  6. Click OK, then click OK, then click Next>
  7. Windows may prompt for the XP CD
  8. When it's finished, click Finish
If you unchecked Sound Recorder above, repeat the above steps, this time Checking Sound Recorder to re-install.
Close Add/Remove Programs
If desired, put the word HIDE back in the sysoc.inf file, then save it and close Notepad.

HTH

Jerry
This is a great tweak Outcaste, I'm glad to see there is a way to restore Windows Sound Recorder saving this to my favorites.;)

sachs

Dear Jerry,
The strange trouble in my PC is that sound recorder doesn't appear in the menu you name and that I have reviewed several times. I do not why. As a matter of fact I restored some games recently with no troubles, but sound recorder is not there. Just utilities and games. And no sound rec inside utilities. Many thanks.

Sachs, did you edit the sysoc.inf file to remove the word HIDE (and only HIDE, not the commas) from the line specified?
Also, after editing the file, the change will not appear until the next time that Add/Remove Programs is opened, so make sure it (and Add/Remove Windows Components) is closed when you edit the file
Normally, Accessories and Games are the only two groups visible. I'm assuming Utilities=Accessories; is this a non-English version of Windows?
If you are not running an English version of Windows, that line in sysoc.inf might be worded differently.

Jerry

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online