1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by vianni, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vianni

vianni Thread Starter

Hiya Guys

I have gone through a good number of posts and cannot find anyone else with the same problem.

i used to have a programme loaded on my system when it was Win98. I have upgraded to WinXP and recently tried to re-install the same programme. It won't.

I get an error message that says ""C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The file is not suitable for running Ms-Dos and Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application"":confused:
    You then get an option of 2 buttons 'Close' and 'Ignore' - although whichever button you press the installantion still ends.:mad:

I would really appreciate any help/ideas as I would really like to get this installed on the machine again - it is around £200 to buy and the updates cost about £80 - but I can't get the flippin thing loaded onto the machine in the first place to be able to do an update anyway.:(

Thanks in anticipation
    xVx

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Download and run the file here called XP_FIX.

3. vianni

vianni Thread Starter

thought it sounded to simple to be true.

Have done what you said, but I get a mssg saying "" C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Config.nt could not be opened""

4. WhitPhil

This now happens when you try to run the install of this Win98 program?

Check in \Windows\System32 and confirm that the file Config.nt is actually there. And as a double check, right mouse, properties and see if the readonly flag is selected.

5. vianni

vianni Thread Starter

No, it happens when I try and run the XP_FIX file:confused:

Yes Config.nt is there and no it is not read only (but............ it does have the "don't know what this is" icon - if you know what I mean. The one you get when you are looking at a file and the pc don't have the software for it. - The one that looks like a mini sheet of paper with the corner turned dow - not the one that looks like a mini window.

hope you understood all that :)

6. WhitPhil

Ok, so there IS a Config.nt file there.

Is there an Autoexec.nt file there?
    If no, rename the Config.nt file and then rerun the XP_Fix.

If both files are there, then your install should now work.

You can also try running the XP_fix directly from the site instead of downloading it. This shouldn't make a difference, but ....

7. vianni

vianni Thread Starter

Errm - no, I can't see an Autoexec.nt file - how strange

rename it to what?

Tried running it from the site and same thing happens - boo hoo (sniff)

8. Goku

Goku

Did you try to run the setup in compatibility mode.To do this:-

1)Right click on the setup file.If it is on a disc,then copy it on your hard drive.
    2)Next,select Properties.
    3)Move to the Compatibility tab and check the box which says:-

[]Run this program in compatibility mode for:

4)In the scroll down menu,select Windows 98 / Windows ME.
    5)Click on Apply.
    6)Hit Ok.

Try to rerun the program and report back here.Good Luck.

9. vianni

vianni Thread Starter

Goku - the short answer is ... errm - no!

But...it looks like I might have sorted it - somehow. I asked my little thing to do a search of the whole machine for the Autoexec.nt file. - and it found it in the WINDOWS\Repair folder along with another copy of the Config.nt file. So rightly or wrongly, I copied the Autoexec file over into the System 32 folder and then re-run the XP_Fix. This seems to have worked.

What it has actually done or not done I have no idea.

WhitPhil - thanks for your time and patience - we appear not to be spending megabucks on the new programme.

Thanks Guys

10. Goku

Goku

Wow,a pretty intelligent decision to directly let Windows search for the file.:)

Please mark the thread Solved using it from the Thread Tools link on the top of this page.Thank you.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice